Chapter 8

~Flashback: Missy, Eight Year Old~

"Mom! I had a nightmare! Can I sleep with you?" I pad into my parents bedroom.

"Mom?" I walk to the side of her bed. "MAMA!!!! MAMA!! PLEASE!" I scream. Mom, laying there. Pale, eyes rolled in the back of her head. I remember now. The load pop of the gun that woke me up.

"DADDY?! DADDY PLEASE! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!" I scream again and run to his side of the bed. "NO! NO NO NO DADDY NO!" Laying in the same way as mama.

"JOHNATHAN! OH MY GOD JOHNATHAN!! ABBY!" I yell and run into my brother and sister's room. I look at my brother, same as my parents but can't bear to see my sister like that too.

"NO! SOMEBODY HELP! PLEASE." I fall to my knees and cry. I crawl to the phone and call 911. Am I an orphan now?

~                         ~                        ~

~Flashback: Mike, 13.~

"Can we stop at Taco Bell?" I'm starving. We've been in the car for three hours.

"Yeah!" Casey and Charlie, my brothers, twins, nod and agree. I laugh as my parents roll their eyes.

"Okay." My dad turns around to look at us, goes to say something but mine and mom screams make him stop.

"ALEC!" My mom screams as the truck slams into us. Everything. Goes. Black.

~                        ~                         ~

~Present~

Tea. The beach. At 6am. Sun still hasn't risen. It's beautiful.

I couldn't sleep. Kept having flashbacks.

Mom...

I pull my knees to my chest and look down the beach and try to keep the tears in.

Who in the world is up so early? I've seen a few runners but that's it.

The dark figure walks up to me.

"Oh! Michael!" I gasp as I see him. "What are you doing up? You weren't in bed so I figured you went on the balcony."

"I could ask you the same thing. I just couldn't sleep." He sits down and looks at the horizon.

"Neither could I." I frown.

"How come?"

"Kept having flashbacks."

"Me too. Of the car crash..." He fades off.

"What car crash?"

"My parents, my brothers and I. On our way to my Aunt's wedding. I survived. But... I can't say the same for my family."

"I... Oh Michael." I stop talking and lean into him.

"Don't feel sorry for me. I've learned to live with it." Michael's eyes stay locked on the ocean.

"I don't feel sorry for you. I feel sorry for what happened to you, but not for you." Wow that sounded harsh. He stares at me. Oops.

"Thank you. Anybody I ever tell looks at me with pity and hugs me and stuff. Like, I deal with it, you deal with it too."

"I know how that feels." I sit up and grip my cup. I shouldn't have said that.

"Wait, what?"

"Nothing."

"What happened? You can tell me."

"No. It's nothing I want to talk about."

"Okay. But you can trust me."

"DANGIT MICHAEL!! IT HURTS! ALRIGHT?! IT HURTS. I CAN'T." I yell and tears form. I stand and run down the beach.

~~

What do you think? Should Missy have reacted like that? What do you think of her story? Do you agree with her out take on pity and sorrow? Anyway, hope this was good ilyasm!

xx

~~