How it Starts

*Flashback*

"Uma get down here now!" Ursula called. Thirteen-year-old Uma not expecting the noise, jumped from her place on the couch and ran down stairs.

"Yes, Mom?" she called as she ran down the stair and to where her mother always was, in the room next to the kitchen. She spotted her mother's tentacles first and then her short white hair.

"Mom?" she asked again.

Ursula turned and used her tentacle to point at the seat in front of her and said, "Sit."

At her mom's demand she gulped and did as told. Her mother rarely allowed her into this room. She was only able to get in when she was in trouble. Uma's mind raced of all the things she had done before now but couldn't find one thing she did that was wrong. Her mom crept towards her until they were only a foot apart. Her mom didn't say anything as they just stared at each other.

"You called?" Uma asked as she broke the silence, wanting this meeting with her mom to be over as soon as possible.

"Have I told you what love does to a person?" Ursula asked as she circled around Uma. Uma's eyes followed her mother as she thought about the question.

"Yes, it makes them weak. Makes them do stupid things," Uma listed by memory, "It could even lead to heartbreak."

Ursula smiled, "That's my girl," she lifted her arm to brush back her daughter's hair.

"Why?" Uma asked confused. Why would her mom randomly ask her about things that she made sure she planted in Uma's head.

"Because you and that Hook boy have been getting awfully close," Her mom grabbed a chair with her tentacle and moved it to sit in front of Uma.

"Me and Harry?" Uma asked as she tilted her head, "We're only friends."

"Are you sure, my evil girl? Because it seems that you two are always together and you're," Her mother dramatically shivered, "happy because of it."

"That doesn't mean we're in love mom, it means we're good friends. Friends are supposed to make other friends a little happier," Uma answered.

"That's the thing, Uma, it starts with being happier and it turns into feelings and then love," Ursula said leaning forward into her daughter's face.

"I don't even know what love feels like, mother. How would I even know?" Uma asked, leaning away from her mother.

"You'll know, dear. You'll know. But it starts with happiness," Ursula shrugged, "And you can't let that happen."

Uma scoffed, "Harry is a friend, nothing more, nothing less."

"And you better keep it that way," his mom threatened. She grabbed her daughter's face with her tentacle and squeezed, hard.

Uma winced but didn't back down, "Or what?" She challenged.

Her mom grabbed her arm with her other tentacle, squeezed and said, "Or, I'll work you so hard, you'll never be able to see that boy again," she smiled evilly.

"Fine," She said, "You have nothing to worry about. Harry and I will always be just friends," She promised her mom and sighed in relief when she let her go. Uma immediately rubbed her arm and winced when she saw the tentacle marks she would have to cover up for a while.

"Good!" Her mother smiled, "I'm only doing what's good for you dear, love makes you weak, and the last thing I need is for you to become one of the poor unfortunate souls I used to help. I can't have a mopey girl serving my customers." Her mother got up from her chair in front of Uma and crept back to her couch as she said, "You're dismissed."