Deserves Better

"After you," Uma said as she gestured for the door.

CJ looked at her, inhaled, looked back at the door and pushed it open. They walked in. The only thing that could be heard was the beeping of the machines. Captain Hook was lying on a bed in the center of the room hooked up to the machines. His face was sunken in and pale.

"He looks peaceful," CJ whispered as she approached the bed cautiously. "He was near death... and he looks peaceful," she looked up at Uma, "I've never seen him look peaceful."

"He's a sad man," Uma replied, "The Isle has done a number on him. Maybe the fact that he was so close to dying helped him realize how precious life is."

"Maybe," CJ whispered as she approached the bed. She poked his hand to make sure he was still asleep before she pulled up a chair next to him and sat.

Uma took the second chair in the room farther away from him and watched.

CJ just watched her father and a few moment later she spoke, "You are a terrible father. You've done terrible, unspeakable things, yet I don't believe you deserve to die." CJ leaned forward, "But what happened to you, I can't say it was undeserved. What you did to us, to Harry especially," she shook her head, "I'm surprised he even cared enough to visit you."

"I came here to clear my mind. To be here if you do die. I was told you might wake up so, I guess we will still have some time together," she stood up, "I hope you come back better instead of worse."

"One thing I can say about you is that you formed our bond. Harriet, Harry and I put up with you together. We were at each other's side when needed so I can give you that," she tilted her head, "Maybe you did do some good in your life. Maybe you can still do good," she laughed bitterly as she shook her head, "Who am I kidding? Nothing will change the fact that you are a villain and villains don't show love to their kids. How's a near death experience going to change something that's been the way you lived for years?"

CJ exhaled as she slowly backed away from her father's bed, "Get better soon, father. For some reason I care about you, so I wish you no harm. We'll see each other soon, but hopefully that's not for a while."

CJ turned to Uma and nodded. CJ's eyes were sad, but they also held resolve in them. Uma nodded back and watched as CJ exited and Harriet entered.

Harriet laughed bitterly, "Look at how the mighty fall. Not so tough now are you?" She asked as she approached her father.

She leaned over him to examine his face. "Now you see what it feels like to be broken to the point of not moving." Harriet sighed as she began to pace near his bed. Unlike CJ she couldn't stomach sitting next to him.

"You may not have been extremely terrible to me but what you did to Harry is unforgivable. How many times did I come home to a bleeding Harry? Too many to even count." She looked down at him with a glare, "We deserved better than you."

Harriet fell silent as she kept pacing. Uma was watching Hook, which was how she was able to see the twitch in his fingers. Thinking she was seeing things she watched him closer and saw that he did it again.

"After all you've done. I shouldn't even be happy to hear that you may wake up," she stopped pacing and turned to him, "But I am," her voice cracked.

"Uhh Harriet," Uma tried to warn but Harriet ignored her and said, "You don't deserve us. You do deserve this pain, but you don't deserve to die."

As Harriet was about to say more she stopped when she heard movement coming from her father. She quickly looked at Uma and Uma said, "I tried to tell you."