Tell Me When

The next day went by without any hitches. They hung out at the beach with his family and some interesting stories were told. Before they knew it, Uma had to head back to Auradon.

Jake and Uma were walking to drop her off. When Uma remembered something she's been meaning to tell him, "It wasn't your fault, Jake," she said quietly as she looked up at him.

Confused, Jake looked down at her, stopped and said, "What wasn't my..??" Then he cut himself off as he realized what she was talking about, "Who told you?" He asked.

"It doesn't matter," Uma shook her head. "Just know, it wasn't your fault."

"Yes it was!" Jake threw his hands up, then pulled at the edges of his hair, "I should've known he would've fell in."

"Your parents should've known not to let you guys play there. The boy should've known that cheap shots never win," Uma listed.

"What does that have anything to do with what happened?" Jake asked. He wasn't looking at her but Uma could tell he was trying to reign his emotions in.

"It means that "should've known" never helps anyone. Thinking about what "should've happened" won't ever change what did," Uma said as she reached for his arm. "You did what you could Jake. You went after him. But you have to remember that you were a kid, he was a kid. And no one, at the time, knew better." Jake stopped pulling at his hair but still wouldn't meet her eyes. "It wasn't your fault, Jake." At his silence, Uma dropped her hand and sighed.

She knew that it was hard to change someone's mind when it was already set. Even if it was so wrong and they didn't deserve to think of themselves in that way. So Uma did what she thought was best, "If it means anything to you, I believe it's not your fault. This doesn't change how I look at you. You were my friend before we came here and you will still be someone I consider a friend after." She looked down at her feet and said, "You helped me adapt to my new surroundings in Auradon. You were there when I needed someone. Nothing you do or did will ever change my mind about you." When she glanced up she saw a new softness in Jake's eyes and immediately looked away. To reduce some of the emotions in the air, Uma said, "But if you tell anyone I said that, I will deny everything. And then since I know where you live, they will never know what happened to you."

She began to walk again and Jake's laughter a small smile appeared on her face.

"Well, Uma, if it means anything to you, I'm glad that King Ben paired us together. You are one of the best friends I've ever had," Jake caught up with her a huge smile on his face.

"Of course I am, I'm a delight," Uma said. Jake shook his head as he laughed.

Nearing there destination, Uma had one more thing to clear up, "You are coming back right?"

Jake nodded, "Of course! But in about two days. I've got some things I have to clear up."

"Okay," Uma nodded. She already knew it was going to be weird without him. But she'd have to deal.

They reached their destination and Jake put his hands on Uma's shoulder, gave them a squeeze and said, "Have a safe trip, Uma."

She nodded and smiled, but before she could say anything she said, "Don't forget that Harry is most likely expecting to talk."

"Talk about what?" Uma asked cautiously. She had been avoiding thinking about what was going on at home because she couldn't think of what to do.

"Your guys' relationship."