16 - I Won't

Once we were finally in seated in the private room, I composed myself with a careful detached expression. Akira Shirai had already had the menu prepared for us and left us alone after our drinks was served. Alone, I did not try to engage in any conversation with Eli Frye. Instead, I quietly sip on the chrysanthemum tea while watching the aquarium glass wall filled with colorful tropical fishes.

I could feel Eli Frye watching me but I couldn't face him – look at him. I didn't want to talk – afraid that once I do, I won't be able to stop myself. Even though I told myself many time not to be influence by Eli Frye, confronting the situation proved to be difficult. When you're faced with the person you once infatuated with, no matter how strong you are, that yearning feeling will tempt you like the devil. If you're not careful, you'll fall into the vicious cycle of blind obsession.

"Is the food not good?"

I barely touched the food and because Eli Frye was watching me, he took notice.

"It's good"

The Ahi Tuna steak was perfect, but I had no mood to eat. How could I eat comfortably when the man was just staring at me from across the table?

"Is there something on my face?" I set the fork and knife down – forcing myself to face the man once and for all.

Eli Frye continued to look at me with his usual calm, indecipherable expression. Why is that I'm always losing my composure while he can sit there unaffected by everything? The calmer he was, the more upset I become. Why!

"Mr. Frye" I tone became colder and colder each passing minute. "I'm asking is there something on my face? If not, please kindly look elsewhere. It's rude to stare"

"Tell me why you're upset" The man finally spoke.

But his statement only fueled my irritation. I wanted to scream, but I maintain my composure and look away. I don't think there's anyone in this world as difficult as Eli Frye. Maintaining a conversation with the man challenging. Even in the past, whenever I tried to talk to Eli Frye, the cold man barely spoke.

"I like you"

My heart slammed painfully through my chest causing me to flinch. My eyes went back to him, seeing his usual stoic expression.

"What?" I hadn't believed what I had heard.

"I like you" He repeated as firmly as before.

"No you don't" I nearly screamed out.

I glared at him, refusing to let my heart win over my mind.

"Eli Frye, why must you force me to hate you?"

Eli Frye's expression faltered at my words.

"You're my sister's fiancé" I bit out each word coldly. "Even if you two break it off, you were still once Rose Lind's fiancé. Do you understand?"

"This bothers you..." He said it so softly but I could hear him clearly.

He doesn't know how much his engagement to my sister bothered me. In the past, I had foolishly pursued him despite his engagement to my sister. Because I was blinded with my fixation to the man, I discarded my self-worth. My current self won't allow the same stupidity.

"How will your family react?" I questioned him. "How will my family react? How people will think of me?"

I laughed bitterly knowing well how the world would look at me when I get involved with my older sister's fiancé – ex or not.

"I won't risk my integrity for you" I said painfully. "So please, don't like me..."

Unable to continue the night with Eli Frye, I stood and reached for my red clutch.

"I'm sorry, but I should go"

"I'll take you home" He stood, but I shook my head gently. "Let me take you home"

There wasn't any energy left in me to argue so I let him take me home. At the end of the short night, I came back to Sora Tower. Before I exit the car, I took off the pink gold bracelet. The bracelet had grown dangerously comfortable on my wrist, but I could not keep it. When I held it out to Eli Frye, the man just look at me. I knew he wouldn't take it back. In silent, I got out the car, leaving behind the bracelet in the passenger seat.