18 - Their Agreement

"Calla... there is something I want to explain to you"

I was refilling our cup of tea when Rose gently put her hand on mine, wanting me to stop and listen to her. So I did.

"Eli... Eli and I, there was never anything between us"

I frowned - not wanting to listen further, but Rose hand pressed down firmly on mine.

"I_ I know you have always had feelings for Eli_ I_"

"Don't" I said sharply.

We both know that in the past – when I was just a little girl, Eli Frye had been my world, my shining light.

"Calla, I'm sorry"

I understood her apology. Because she knew my feelings for Eli Frye and still became his fiancé.

"You don't need to apologize"

She didn't need to apologize for my stupidity. It was me who had loved him one-sidedly all those years.

"I'm sorry... I knew... but I couldn't" Rose looked at me sadly. "I couldn't disappoint mom and dad..."

"But you could disappoint me" My heart and soul poured out before I could stop.

Rose flinched like I hit her and quietly withdraw her hands from me.

"Did you break off the engagement because of Alex?" I asked her even though I already knew her answer.

Her silence could not conceal the guilt in her eyes.

"Eli and I agreed... if we ever found someone we love... we would end the engagement"

Someone they love? Someone they love.

"Calla" Rose said softly. "Eli is in love with_"

"No!" I stopped her.

"Calla..."

"All those years..." I refused to let any tears fall even as I felt my eyes filled. "Don't Rose"

Rose reached for me and wrapped her arms around me, but I would not a single tear to fall. Removing myself from her embrace, I stood while Rose kept hold of my hand.

"Calla... I'm sorry"

"Rose, no matter how much you apologize" I look at her sadly. "The past is already the past..."

Even if I were to relive the past once more, the fact will not change. Rose and Eli will always be a pair. I will always be just Calla.