35 - A Rose Without Thorns

When Rose Lind was born, Spring was blooming. The world appeared extra beautiful – extra serene. Like a reddest rose, baby girl was born with beauty and love. To show their affection for the baby girl, Michael and Ivy Lind had given her a 100-carat diamond carved into the shape of a rose. In their hearts, the beautiful baby Rose was their hopes and dreams. In their souls, baby Rose was their life. Therefore, it was only normal for them to dote on her – to give her the best and love her more than life itself.

                Rose Lind grew up with so much love and affection. The best – the most beautiful – perfection was normal to her. Rose Lind never lack of anything because her parents had given her everything and more. She was used to having everything, receiving everything so she never understood what it meant to share – to give. All she ever known was her parents' love for her. All she ever known was to move along their will.

                When Calla Lind was born into the world, Spring have already lost its beauty. Toward the end of spring, the first calla lily bloom quietly – forgotten by the world. For Rose, Calla's birth had brought her fear. Because she was used to so much love, she didn't know how to live without it. But she didn't fear long as Michael and Ivy Lind focus never strayed from their red Rose. Growing up, Rose understood her position in her parents' heart, while ignoring her little sister's resentment toward her. She had been too afraid to face her younger sister's anger. She had been too afraid to lose her parents' favor.

Years later, Rose and Calla both matured. The beautiful Rose is still beautiful, but the fragile Calla no longer exists. Calla had become proud, tall, and unwavering even against the coldest winter. Rose had become fragile – stripped from her thorns over the years by her parents. When Rose realized how weak she had become, it was already too late for her to react. She had become too dependent on her parents' love. She had grown accustom to receiving the best things in the world.

Too much love can be painful.

At 16 years old, Rose Lind understood for the first time how painful love could be. Because of her parents' overwhelming affection, she was forced to be engaged to someone she had no interest in. Because of her parents' love, she was forced to study music. Because of her parents' attention, she was forced to live with bodyguards constantly at her side.

Too much love can be suffocating.

Even though Rose Lind is never left alone, she always felt lonely. Each passing day, there was no one at her side but her father or mother. No one could ever get close to her without her parents' approval. No one would ever treat her normally because she was a Lind. She had no one but her father and mother.

Alexander Locke.

                Rose Lind thought she knew what beautiful was. It wasn't until she met Alexander Locke that she understood the meaning. Proud, tall and unwavering – Alexander Locke was beautiful. He appeared like the night storm and disappeared like tears in the rain. The man saved her without a way for her to thank him. After one fateful meeting, Rose had searched everywhere for the beautiful man. She had desperately hired private investigators to hunt the unknown man down. She just didn't know Alexander Locke had left New York to New Haven that same day.

                Fate can be cruel.

                For the first time in her life, Rose was in love. For the first time, she understood the meaning of yearning. To want and desire but not able to touch it. To hope and pray but not able to have it.Alexander Locke did not love her. Worst, Alexander Locke did not remember her. While she had kept his image in her heart and soul, the man barely recalled their encountered. Before she could confess her heart, the man had already turned her down. For him, she will never hold importance in his heart. For him, her little sister will be the most important.

                Was this her karma?