43 - If You're Hurt

The news of Malik Shah and I barely ended before news of two Lind's Heiress kidnapping occurred. It took a lot of controlling on James Lind's side to make the media report the kidnapping as a "minor" robbery incident. Watching the television screen in one of the hospital private room, I listened quietly as my father's high profile team of lawyers spoke on behalf of the Lind family. The news haven't even ended when the television monitor was shut off.

"Miss Calla"

I finally look at Andrew Marks who was standing beside the hospital bed I was currently sitting in. The young man looked worn out. I knew it was because he had come back from London. My grandfather had sent his personal secretary to check up on me even though they were extremely busy.

"You didn't have to come, Andy"

"Your grandfather is worried" Andrew Marks said softly.

"I'm fine"

It's Rose who wasn't. The bullet hit a major artery which affects the nerve system. Her right hand and arm would require extensive therapy. Even then, there is a chance her hand movements would never be the same. For a pianist, how could he or she deal with such news?

"We have the best doctors looking after Miss Rose" As if he saw through my guilt, Andrew Marks continued gently. "Please be at ease and rest well. Mr. Lind will be back in the country next week to visit"

"I'm fine to leave the hospital" I was beginning to lose my patience with these overbearing men. "Why can't I go home?"

"Miss Calla_"

"I'm not a child to look after" I said firmly. "Go back to grandfather and tell him doesn't have to rush to get back for my sake"

"Miss Calla_"

"Andy, you're his secretary."

Andrew Marks was troubled by my words and made no move to leave.

"We're here to babysit her" Alexander Locke smirked at me. "You don't have to worry"

Only with Alex's reassurance that Andrew Marks finally left.

"Stop being such a brat" Alex said as soon as Andrew Marks left.

I gave him a hard glare. For two days now, I was confined in the hospital. My arm was barely grazed so was good to go home, but because of Alexander Locke and Eli Frye meddling, I was forced to stay at the hospital.

"It's not safe for you to leave yet" Eli Frye sudden statement had me remember the man was still there.

For as long as I was in the hospital, the man barely left. He and Alex pretty much camped out in the room every night. It was like they're afraid I'll disappear or something.

"Why is it not safe?" I asked irritably even though I knew the reason.

Though the media was controlled, there are still people outside Sora Tower wanting to talk or take photos of me. Yale University also has people outside the campus gate, trolling students for information about me. Because of this incident, my identity as a Lind could no longer be kept a secret. Even Rose who was well known in the high society was pushed out into the public limelight. Rose and my parents' home in New York were constantly hounded by people for information on Rose.

The thought of Rose worsen my mood. Since we've been admitted into the hospital, my parents have not let me visit Rose. Even when I tried to call her room, my mother always answered to block my calls. It was treated like a stranger – an enemy, instead of their daughter.