19 - Lunch

Alexander Locke was sitting in the back seat of the black Range Rover as his secretary went over his day schedule. The pretty man was half listening to his secretary while he was texting in his cellphone.

"Alex, I'm beginning to think Calla's bad influences are rubbing off on you" The secretary sighed as she closed the cover of her black notebook.

"I'm listening" Alex chuckled as he was still texting in his phone. "And don't compare me to that lazy brat"

"Oh? Then what did I just say"

"Meeting with Brook at 3. Conference at Hilton at 5. And dinner with Witz and Piltzer at 7"

"Where we going now?" The secretary continued to test.

Alex finally put his phone in his pocket and looked at his cute little secretary with a grin.

"Lunch with Rose Lind" Alex smirked. "Anything else?"

The secretary rolled her eyes while she opened her black notebook and went through her notes, no longer bothering Alex. Meanwhile, Alex leaned back in the seat and look out at the busy street of Manhattan.

Alex was scheduled to meet with Rose at an exclusive restaurant at the top floor of the Ryder Hotel. When he entered, he found the young woman already waiting at the table against the curtain wall with the impressive view of the city.

"Miss Lind"

Rose stood as soon as she saw Alex entered the restaurant. When he made his way to the table, she smiled softly at him.

"Mr. Locke..." Rose said shyly. "Thank you for meeting with me"

"The pleasure is mine" Alex sat and allowed the waiter to pour him a glass of wine.

Rose quietly studied Alex while tasted the wine and blushed softly when their eyes met. With a smile, Alex set the glass of wine down.

"Calla told me you wanted to meet" Alex continued to smile courteously. "Is there a particular reason why?"

All of a sudden, Rose appeared embarrassed. It was the first time she ever initiated a lunch invitation to anyone – especially to a man. Because it was her first, she wasn't sure how to explain herself.

"I_ I wanted to thank you"

"Thank me?" Alex was startled. "What for?"

Rose flustered even more at Alex's confusion.

"F_ for saving me"

"Saving you?" Alex was completely lost. "When?"

Red with embarrassment, Rose didn't know where to start. Alex hadn't meant to embarrass her and didn't want to give her anymore grief so he waited patiently until the young woman could explain. Once she did, Alex just smiled.

"Is that so?" Alex recalled faintly that incident years ago, but it didn't remember the girl was Rose Lind.

At the time of his life, Alex had lost his dear grandmother – his last remaining relative. He didn't care to remember anything or anyone else but his precious grandmother.

"I'm glad that nothing horrible happened then" Alex chuckled. "Although I'm curious as to why a young woman would wander the streets of Manhattan in the middle of the night"

Blushing again, Rose couldn't explain herself and Alex didn't care to push further. Once the waiter came with their food, the two enjoyed the meal in silence. Once in a while, Rose would try to talk to Alex about his interest.

"So you like classical music?" Rose beamed a smile. "If that is so, I would love it if you could come to my performance tomorrow night"

"Thank you for the invitation Miss Lind" Alex politely declined. "But unfortunately, I have to be back in New Haven tomorrow morning"

"I_ I see... you must be busy..."

Alex only replied with a smile.

"Are you free tonight...?" Rose asked nervously. "Maybe we can have dinner"

"Again, I apologize, but I already have dinner plans"

Seeing Rose's disappointed expression, Alex sighed softly and set his fork and knife down.

"Miss Lind, if I speaking out of bounds, I apologize in advance. But please do not take me as a hero you must repay. That incident – anyone would have stepped in and helped you" Alex continued. "Furthermore, I hope you don't mistakenly give your heart because of it"

"I..." Rose understood Alex's underlining words and was hurt. "I..."

Alex didn't want to cause further heartache so he waved the waiter over to get the bill.

"Please... don't go" Rose looked at Alex. "I just want... to know you..."

"I assure you Miss Lind that I'm not interesting"

"Is it because of Calla?" Rose asked sadly. "Calla and I are sisters... so you can't_"

"Miss Lind, I'm extremely flattered for your interest in me."

Any man would be flattered to have a beautiful woman express her feelings to him.

"But my priorities right now are Calla and Allac" Alex stood. "For me, first is Calla - second is Allac. Are you willing to be third?"

Rose was stunned by Alex's straightforwardness.

"Please find someone who can make you his only priority"

Giving Rose a polite smile, Alex tilted his head to bid her goodbye before walking off.