36 - Cannot Help

"It's suffocating..."

Rose Lind's words resonated inside me.

"Calla, please help me..."

"Help you? Help you with what? Father and mother? Or help you with Alexander Locke?"

Rose's eyes widened – shocked by my blunt questions.

"Suffocating? You're suffocated with what? Is father and mother's love finally reached its breaking point for you?"

I knew my sister is growing tired of my parents overwhelming affection. I get it. Since I no longer cared about pleasing our parents, I understood how hard it was for my older sister to keep them happy. Michael Lind was the type of man who cared a lot about reputation, so he demands elegance and grace from the women in his life. Ivy Lind was the type of woman who cared a lot what people sees and thinks of her. Her daughter was her reflection; therefore, she could not accept anything less than perfection from Rose. As the apple in their eyes, Rose Lind must be perfect. But no one was perfect. To force that on anyone was cruel.

"I didn't mean it like that. I_"

"Then what exactly did you mean?"

I could understand her pain, but that doesn't mean I have to pity her.

"I_" Rose couldn't answer. "Calla_"

"What did you expect me to do?" My tone and eyes sharpened. "You want me to get on their good side? Get their attention off of you so you can do what?"

Even though she was my older sister, she flinched nervously. When I had wanted her to share our parents, she didn't. Now she feels burdened, she wanted me to be understanding? She wanted me to help her? I was not a saint to be used whenever it was convenient.

"If father and mother isn't the problem, then the problem lies on Alex" I said harshly. "Did you want me to help you get Alex?"

"I_" Rose was red with embarrassment – shuttering at my merciless attacks.

"I cannot help you" I told her straight out.

"Calla_"

"Rose, what do you want from me?"

Rose was trembling with fear and anxiety. I was pushing her for answers, but she was afraid to speak.

"Whatever it is that you want I cannot help you"

Rose Lind was once someone I wanted so badly to become. No matter how much I hated or resented her in the past, I had also begrudgingly admired her. Now, Rose Lind sat there before me with a beaten, sorrowful expression.

"George"

I stood, tired and resigned by my sister indecisiveness. My perfect older sister now suddenly appeared so weak making me feel somewhat disappointed.

"Please see my sister out" I walked off toward my bedroom. "Make sure not to receive any more guests for today"

I needed to sleep.