Silver Lining // C20

"You can't lose what you never had, you can't keep what's not yours, and you can't hold onto someone who doesn't want to stay" - Unknown

Daniel's POV:

For the past week and a half, I've been pretty in and out of it. My family came to stay for about three days to check in on me before they had to leave and return to their lives. Strangely, I haven't seen much of Amberle but I assumed she was still in Vancouver with Penelope, she's such a good friend. Today was the first day where I felt strong enough to hold a conversation and support my breathing.

"How's Zach?" I asked Jonah who was the only one that didn't go out for breakfast.

"He's still in a coma, but his vitals have stayed consistent and normal" he responded with a certain sadness in his eyes.

It looked like he regretted something but what? Maybe he regrets not being able to do anything to prevent what happened to Zach so I tried to reassure him. "You couldn't of done anything to help us, this is not your fault" I stated.

"I know..." he replied, but if he knows then what's bothering him?

Just then, Corbyn and Jack returned with a muffin and coffee for Jonah.

"Daniel, bro, it's good to see you up" Jack stated as he sat down in a chair.

"Trust me, after being asleep for practically a week and a half...sitting up is quite refreshing" I stated.

Corbyn and Jack laughed but it also looked like they might have been hiding something as well. I decided that it was their business and if they didn't want to share then they didn't have to.

"Do you know when Amberle's coming to visit?" I asked, it's been awhile since I've seen her and I missed her. I also needed to know if she's okay...that day was very traumatic for both of us, she could be in an unhealthy state of mentality for all I know.

The boys went silent and kept to themselves, obviously avoiding my question.

"What's wrong? Is she hurt? Is she okay?!?" I demanded answers as my mind wandered to the worst. What if she was hurt? What if she wasn't okay? I'm a terrible person, I can't even be there to support her because I'm glued to this hospital bed.

It took a few minutes but Jack finally answered my question, "Amberle is fine, it's just....she's in Paris right now and she also doesn't want anything to do with us."

My heart rate started to increase and the boys saw that too, "What's that supposed to mean? She can't just uproot our connections!" I stated as I denied the possibility of her rash decision.

"Here" Corbyn stated as he handed me a note written in Amberle's handwriting. My heart started to calm down as I began to read her carefully written letter.

Dear boys,
I apologize for my rash decision to suddenly leave you but I have to explain that this is for the best. Being in your presence puts you in a lot of danger and I will not be the cause of your undoing. I've already brought a lot of terror and pain onto you and I refuse to bring anymore. I want to thank all of you for giving me an amazing year, I wish it didn't have to end this way. I love each and every one of you in ways you cannot begin to understand. You are my family and I cannot thank you enough for making me feel loved and accepted. It pains me that I have to even do this to you but it's necessary because you have a fan base that cares about you and they, along with myself, refuse to let anything happen to you. From the bottom of my heart, I'm sorry and I love you.

Best regards,
Amberle Rose Lafontaine

P.S Daniel, if you are reading this...this is not your fault and there is nothing you could of done to prevent me from doing this.