Streets

Jercy - - Oneshot #73

Percy didn't know where he was with his relationship with food. It was good. He loved it and all. But it was so hard to find.

Especially since he didn't have a home to return to in the first place. He couldn't just go out to fast food joints and take home leftovers.

Heck, he didn't even have the money to drive to the fast food joints!

He was only 13 years old. And he was already starving.

He had been beaten.

Left.

And just miserable since the day his (abusive) step father Gabriel left him on the streets.

Waiting for Percy to rot like some banana left under a bed.

So, yeah, his family was totally gonna help him find food everyday. And so willing to give him money for food.

Well, not that his mother knew. She had died maybe 2 years prior to the abusive drunken rage of his stepfather as he was forced to the streets.

••_••

The day had started out like every other.

Percy was sitting in the ground, tattered coat wrapped tightly around him. His hands had gone long numb. And his nose was red from the November chilled air.

He looked up at people, watching them give him looks of disgust. Watching as they walked past him.

His sore arms no longer holding the energy to push the empty green bean can into their sights.

His throat was sore, and nose running. He knew he was sick, but he didn't care. It's not like he would go and steal medication from the pharmacy down the street.

It was against his morals.

He coughed in his elbow, a small shiver being sent down his spine at the strong gust of wind hitting him.

His long black hair blew away from his neck, making it as cold as a freezer.

He merely sniffled, and let his green eyes look up again.

A woman with red hair looked at him with pity, eyeing his can.

She walked up, heels clicking on the sidewalk, and quickly dropped a few quarters in it.

"Thank you." He said hoarsely, his voice scratchy from his cold.

The woman made no comment as she walked away. Her heels clicking on the sidewalk much faster than they had when she was walking over to him.

Percy glanced into the can. Giving a sad smile, he counted the change he was given by strangers.

87 cents.

He thought, part of him thanking god that he got this much. But most of him wishing for more.

87 cents can get you a few runs on quarter machines, not so much on actual foot.

His stomach then growled hungrily, Percy biting his tongue to distract him from the constant ach.

Then, resuming his position, he let out another sigh.

"Why'd you have to go mom?" He whispered to himself.

The winter air suddenly feeling welcoming, and his stomach protesting wearily. His eyes fluttered between open and closed.

His body finally giving into sleep.

••_••

Jason Grace looked over at the street corner. A passed out Teen lay there. Deeply sleeping in the freezing November air.

Sighing, he walked over.

Seemed his favorite food hunting spot was taken.

"Excuse me?" He asked, shaking the male awake.

The teen opened his eyes suddenly. Startling both of them as he shot up.

"I'm sorry!" He exclaimed, Jason looked at him.

"A-are you okay?" He stammered, hearing his raspy the raven haired teen's voice was.

He sniffled in response, then coughed. "I-I'm good." He told Jason.

Jason gave a soft smile.

"I'm Jason." He told him.

"Percy."

••_••

Jason sat next to Percy again. He lay there in the same tattered jeans, and same stained red shirt.

"You glad it's summer?" Jason asked him, motioning to the sun above them.

Percy gave a dry chuckle.

"Sure. Nothing like sweating a storm each time you try to live and get food, money, or even some attention." He sarcastically said.

Jason nodded, "Well, it's better than winter." He told Percy.

Percy nodded.

"True."

Then, the boys sat in silence. Each in tattered clothes, hot as Hades, but happy. Because they had each other.

••_••

It had been a year since Percy and Jason started sitting next to each other on the streets. And by now, they had progressively because friends.

"Hey Jason." Percy said one day. It was spring, so the cool air cooled the boys sweaty figures.

Jason grinned, clutching the money they had collected.

"20 dollars today!" He said cheerfully to Percy.

Percy smiled. "That's amazing!" He exclaimed, Jason looked to him.

"We can finally get you some medicine for that. . . Thing." Jason mentioned, referring to Percy's constant aching ribs. Having been broken for a while.

Percy smiled. "Okay."

"Oh, and Jason?" He questioned, Jason hummed in reply.

"Love you."

Jason felt himself blush as he faced Percy.

"I love you too."

A/n:
Idk what I'm doing rn. Personally, I could do a lot better. I'm probably gonna rewrite this later. Maybe make it longer?

- Bridget