Chapter 9: What Can We Do?

C h a p t e r 9 : W h a t C a n W e D o ?

Alive: Rosalina, Daisy, Waluigi, Wario, Boo, Bowser, Mona, Pauline, Yoshi, Toad, Bowser Jr., Koopa, Diddy, Dixie, Mario, Luigi.

Dead: Peach, Dry Bones, Donkey Kong, Birdo, Toadette, Kamek.

The whole house was mourning, heroes and villains alike.

Princess Peach was dead.

Everyone was in disbelief.

"I can't believe it... We should've started our plan sooner..." Waluigi said dejectedly. "We might've been able to save the princess.."

"I know.." Mona agreed, putting her head down. "I thought we would've been able to save them, but we didn't act soon enough.."

"...I wish we could've saved her... Who's our leader now? Mario? I think I'd rather die.." Wario sighed. "Peach was a capable leader.. Mario is a capable... Goomba-exterminator. We need someone who can lead us.."

"...I'll lead our pranking company to victory!" Mona told them. "We'll catch the murderer this time!"

"I don't know if we can," Wario pointed out. "The murderer seems pretty capable.."

"Well... We have to do it. We can't lose hope," Waluigi said. "If we don't, then we'll probably all die."

"Yeah, and if we're all going to die anyway, shouldn't we at least go out with a bang?"

<><><>

"Hey bro.. You okay?" Luigi questioned.

"Okay?" Mario whispered. "How.. How could I be okay? Peach is dead... I don't understand. I tried to save her.. I touched her last. Why didn't she...?"

"You.. What? You touched her last..? What does that even mean?" Luigi frowned. "I don't understand.."

Mario shook Luigi by his shoulders.

"I mean I touched her last... Not like that.. But I touched her. It's been happening for a while," Mario mumbled. "It's weird. It's like... Well, this one time... I had washed my hands once and then I turned around and an axe fell from the ceiling, barely missing me. Another time... I touched Pauline and practically the same thing happened.. I don't understand."

"Wait-oh my gosh, Mario," Luigi finally realized what his brother was trying to say. "Okay, you know when we used to play mafia?"

"Yeah, but why does that matter?" Mario muttered.

"Well, that's basically what's happening right now. The murderer is the mafia, Kamek was the cop... And you're the nurse."

"I'm the.. Nurse..?" Mario shook his head. "No.. If I was a nurse, I would've saved Peach.."

"But it's based on who you touched last, right?" Luigi continued. "Maybe you touched me last instead of her."

"I dunno..." Mario played with his hands. "Either way.. Peach is gone... How am I supposed to live like this..?"

"...I'm so sorry, bro..."

"...Peach... Come back..."

"Mario, whether you like it or not, you're the nurse. You're our only hope since the cop is dead. You have to lead us."

"I always have to do it," Mario looked up at Luigi with tired eyes. "You always complain to me about how you want to do things, so why don't you do it this time..? You're lucky, for now.. Your loved one isn't dead."

"Mario... But they expect it from you, not me," Luigi said. "You're right, I am sorta the underrated brother, but this isn't like you. You have to. Believe me, if I was the nurse, I would do it. Gladly. But you have the chance to save someone every night. Don't you want to save someone from dying?"

"Why can't I just save you and I?" Mario mumbled. "It's not like anyone else matters anymore..."

"Mario... Please don't give up. We need you. More than ever before. I need you, brother."

"...if I die, I could join Peach.."

"But if you die, you'll leave your brother here alone and screw the rest of us over," Luigi pointed out. "...can't you at least try to save us..?"

"...I'm not cut out for it... I'm just a minion-killer. I'm not a savior."

"That's not true. You've saved Princess Peach plenty of times," Luigi told him. "So can you please... Please just help us?"

"...Peach... I'm sorry," Mario muttered. "I'll see you once we make it out of this nightmare... Luigi, you're right... I'll help you guys. Who should I save next?"

<><><>

"It's my party, and I can die if I want to, die if I want to, die if I want to..." Boo chuckled dejectedly.

"Boo... You sound so depressed.." Rosalina sighed. "That's not...like you."

"It's King Boo, but... To hell with formalities. Yeah, I am pretty upset... I mean, everyone is dying. Yeah, that would usually be a good thing, but now who am I supposed to fight?" Boo asked. "That's what I like. Fighting Luigi and Mario but they might die. Even Bowser might go. This is just insane."

"...Boo, you can't die, correct..?" Rosalina questioned.

"Well.. I can, but only to a massive amount of light and the poltergeist," Boo told her. "But that information doesn't leave the room. Besides, a poltergeist isn't even here anyway."

"That's true... So I guess.. You'll be one of the last ones... Lucky you.."

"Sure, lucky me, but what am I going to do without my boss?"

The conversation was interrupted as Bowser sobbed from upstairs.

"HE'S DEAD..!"

Hello, yes, three updates in a row! Two of them I worked on before this weekend while I was on my hiatus while the third one I did all today. I got very excited when I read all the comments. :)

So yes, Mario is not the mafia as some of you may have already known (cough cough SaltyNuts @ominousshadow22) but yeah! Is Mario actually the nurse, though?

Who do you think is the mafia? The cop? The nurse? Did I kill them all off already?

Thank you for reading!