Chapter 11: Who Will Save Us?

C h a p t e r  1 1 :  W h o  W i l l  S a v e
U s ?

Alive: Rosalina, Daisy, Waluigi, Wario, Boo, Bowser, Mona, Pauline, Yoshi, Toad, Bowser Jr., Koopa, Diddy, Dixie, Luigi

???: Mario

Dead: Peach, Dry Bones, Donkey Kong, Birdo, Toadette, Kamek.

"...I..I don't know what to do..." Pauline sighed to herself. "The only person I trusted is dead. I could try to ally with someone else, perhaps. Dixie and Diddy already hate me, so they're out... I'm not sure how forgiving the princesses' will be... I screwed myself over by only relying on one person."

"Are you so desperate that you started talking to yourself?" King Boo ghosted through the wall, and surprised Pauline who immediately glared at him.

"No one asked you," Pauline crossed her arms and lifted her chin defiantly. "Why are you here, anyway?"

"Same reason as you," Boo shrugged. "People may not hate me as much as they hate Bowser, but they still hate me. If Bowser dies, I'm going to be dead just like you.. So why don't we ally up?"

"How do I know you're not the murderer?" Pauline accused.

"How do I know you're not the murderer?" Boo countered. "After all, Peach is dead. Shouldn't you be celebrating?"

"I would be. But it's pretty hard since I have no one left," Pauline grit her teeth.

"Well, I'm about to be on the same page as you assuming Bowser is going to die soon... So can I join you?"

"And what are you going to do if I say no?" Pauline questioned suspiciously. Her answer was yes, but she wanted to know.

They always did say curiosity killed the cat.

The king grinned maliciously.

"Why would you refuse?"

<><><>

"We need to get to the bottom of who the murderer is," Bowser told Luigi. Mario was still sleeping under the covers and Luigi didn't want to wake him up. "Maybe we should interrogate everyone."

"Yeah, you're right... But how do we do that without the murderer knowing?" Luigi questioned. "We might be next... Maybe even discussing it is sealing our fate."

Bowser shook Luigi by his shoulders violently.

"But if we sit around and do nothing, we really will die!" Bowser snapped. "We have to catch the mafia before they catch us!"

HNTM.

"But... I don't want to be the next target.." Luigi stammered. "If we try to kill the mafia and the mafia finds out, won't we die because we're investigating?"

"I dunno!" Bowser threw his hands up in the air. "I don't know anymore... I just.. Look. Peach entrusted me with finding the mafia before they killed everyone off, and I don't want to disappoint her royal wish."

It was in that moment that Luigi realized that Bowser really did love Peach and that's why he kidnapped her all the time. While Luigi didn't agree with how Bowser had done that, he felt a twinge of pity for the King who was always rejected.

"Alright... That makes sense," Luigi nodded. "...lets go catch some mafia."

<><><>

"So who are we pranking again?" Waluigi yawned. "I forgot."

"We're going to prank Yoshi. We think he's the murderer, remember?" Mona whispered. "How should we prank him, though? Maybe tie him up somehow?"

"Yeah...maybe," Wario nodded slowly. "And then we can force the answers out of him. So lets try doing that."

"Okay... But we gotta catch him alone somehow," Waluigi frowned. "He's usually cooped up in his room with Toad so it's going to be harder."

"Well, maybe we should just prank both of them?" Mona suggested. "I don't know..."

"Yeah, but Toad seems innocent," Waluigi said. "I dunno.."

"Let's just do both of them, we'll gain more information that way anyway," Wario declared. "Does that sound good?"

"Yeah. Great idea," Mona nodded. "Now we gotta figure out how to do it..."

<><><>

"Let's go...talk to Mario..." Rosalina told Daisy. "Maybe he.. Knows answers.."

"Yeah, that's a good idea," Daisy nodded. The two princesses made their way up to Mario's room and knocked. When no one answered, Daisy simply barged in. Rosalina hesitated to walk in after her friend, not wanting to bother his privacy, but did so anyway.

"...Mario..?" Rosalina softly said as she looked at the sleeping hero. "Goodness.. Being a hero must be exhausting.."

"No kidding. It's like two or three p.m!" Daisy checked the clock. "Just kidding, four o'clock. He's slept enough. I'm going to wake him up."

"Daisy, I really don't think..."

"MARIOOOOOOOOO, WAKE UPPPPP!"

Daisy's bellow was never answered as Mario continued sleeping. Daisy sighed in irritation.

"Man, this guy is a heavy sleeper. Do you have a bucket of ice cold water I can pour on his head?"

"Wait.. Daisy-"

Rosalina quickly pushed Daisy to the ground as a dagger flew where she was standing. The two stared at the dagger which was pierced in the wall.

"Th-thanks... How'd you know?" Daisy questioned.

"...I didn't... I only... Did that... Because I sensed.. Something was off.. Against Mario," Rosalina answered. "...I didn't know about.. The dagger.."

Daisy suspiciously reached up to feel the red brother's pulse. She was shocked to feel nothing.

"Rosalina," Daisy tried to stay as calm as possible. "I think you're right... Mario's dea-"

"OH COME ON, WE CHOSE THE WRONG PERSON!"

Heyo everyone, hope you enjoyed this chapter! Who do you think is the murderer? The cop? The nurse? Did I kill them all off? Are you tired of me asking? I'm just curious to know your thought process! How many mafia do you think there are? 1, 2, 3, 4? 5, 6? Is everyone secretly a mafia? What are those random letters that keep showing up? Clue? Or a red herring?

So many questions...

Oh, and if any of you are wondering, the body count in the basement is growing pretty high right now. Hopefully the characters can figure out the mafia before everyone dies....

Thanks for reading!