Chapter 18: Without You

C h a p t e r 1 8 : W i t h o u t Y o u

Alive: Rosalina, Daisy, Waluigi, Boo, Bowser, Mona, Koopa, Dixie

Dead: Peach, Dry Bones, Donkey Kong, Birdo, Toadette, Kamek, Yoshi, Bowser Jr, Mario, Toad, Diddy, Pauline, Luigi, Wario

Two people were mourning the loss of Wario. It may not seem like a lot of people, there were only eight people left. That was one fourth of the remaining people mourning...

"...what am I supposed to do without Wario..." Waluigi looked down at the ground. "Why..."

Mona was silent. She was grieving. The worst thing for the both of them was that they knew it was technically their fault. It hasn't been the murderer that time- that was just their stupid, prank planning- and they'd live with the guilt for as long as they lived. Course, that might not be that long, but...

Unless, of course, the murderer had simply just been pulling the strings all along...

Mona felt so stupid. It had been all her idea- and it had gotten Wario killed. She knew it was her fault- she knew it. Wario had been so adamant against it, but she insisted...

Waluigi hadn't even considered the fact that it might've not been an accident- that the string might've been messed with. They just assumed it was their fault.

"...what are we supposed to do..." Mona stared into space. "What can we do without him..."

"...I don't know.." Waluigi responded distantly. "I really don't..."

The two just sat in the same room, lamenting their mistake.

DLTS

<><><>

"Well, I hate to put it this way.." Daisy sighed. "But that's one murderer out of the way. I guess that's... A good thing? That sounds so terrible of me.."

"...it's understandable..." Rosalina told her. "We're all just terrified.. It's coming out in our actions..."

"Yeah... I suppose so," Daisy agreed. "I guess we could blame it on that... Do we know how he died? I assume that could help us find out who the murderer is.."

"No.. No one knows..." Rosalina shook her head. "Waluigi and Mona probably know, but... They're both... Not responding."

"That's understandable... But we need to find out who the murderer is," Daisy frowned. "And that's not helping at all."

"That's true... So we'r at an impasse..?"

"It appears so..."

<><><>

"Alright! I think I've got it figured out... Rosalina is the mafia," Bowser announced. "I'm pretty sure. In fact, I'm almost positive. It's got to be her. She didn't even seem that upset after Peach, the leader of the kingdom, one of her good friends, died. She's been manipulating us all this time."

"How can you be so sure..?" Dixie questioned suspiciously. "I'm not even sure I can trust you..."

Bowser glanced around, and hesitated. "Alright, I've waited too long to say this. Guys, I'm the cop. I honestly didn't figure it out till awhile ago. I checked Luigi and Peach and neither of them were mafia."

"Really?" Koopa gasped. "That's great! That's super good news! Now we can tell who's the mafia!"

"Yeah," Bowser grinned. "...I might be next, though. If I die next, it means one of the murderer's is in the room."

Bowser looked to Koopa and Dixie meaningfully.

"Got it?"

Dixie gulped.

"Yup."

<><><>

"Now it's time to say... Die," Boo mused. "For no reason, except their own sick fun.."

He paused for a moment, pondering something- and then laughed slightly.

"Those lyrics weren't the best," he muttered to himself as he realized that. "The murderer is such a sadist. Killing all of us off. I bet they're laughing somewhere..."

His voice trailed off.

"...I'm so lonely..."

<><><>

Mona had relocated to another room. She couldn't look at Waluigi without seeing Wario. Seeing the thing she had done. How could she have done it..? It had been all her idea. Waluigi had been reluctant as well. It was all her fault. It was all her fault Wario was dead. He had been her best friend, her partner in crime- but not anymore. Now he was gone- and it was all her fault.

How could she have been so careless? She probably could've stopped it if she had known.. Maybe if they hadn't changed the angle of the sword, he would still be alive?

They'd never know who's fault it really was- whether it was an accident, or on purpose. Honestly, Mona didn't even want to know- she was too afraid it might be her fault.

"...Wario..." Mona mourned. "I'm sorry, Waluigi.. But I just can't do life without him. Please forgive me, Waluigi..."

Mona took a deep breath and quickly stepped off the stool, kicking it aside. Her throat constricted as the rope around her neck tightened.

Please forgive me, Waluigi....

Ahh, that felt so good...

So many of you thought it was Mona! Haha! Of course... Well, let me just give you this chapters clue. I know- it's been a while since I've had an ACTUAL clue.

Hint: one or more of the mafia may already be dead.

Clue? Red herring? I dunno.. It's up to you to find out!

What did the letters mean? Clue? Red herring?

Who's the mafia? Cop? Nurse? Comment who you think it is!

Thanks for reading!