10

RIANA GARCIA

Theo texts me, asking if I'm at the movie theater already. I text him back saying I still have to go to Vex's house since my Dad offered to drop Vex and I together.

"By the way, do you know where your mother is?" Dad asks me, meeting my eyes on the rearview mirror with curiosity. He adjusts our car behind the Santiagos' midsized SUV the color of gray.

Vex's house gives a welcoming and friendly vibe. It's three stories high, with the red bricks making the porch look like a wooden box. My eyes wander to the shed at the side, then to the smoke coming from the chimney. A garden full of roses has been put up in the front, each blossoming flower a sign of consistent care.

"I think she went to Phil Prep," I reply before I get out of the car just in time for Mr. Santiago and Vex's brother to come out of the house.

Christian Santiago gives a polite nod to my father from afar unlike his snobby son. His dark brown eyes meet mine, and he flashes a smile which reaches his eyes. "Vex is almost done," he assures me after I smile at him respectfully. "Come in."

"Ah, it's alright," I shake my head. "I'd rather wait here. Thanks Mr. Santiago."

"Call me Christian." Mr. Santiago nods at my decision and excuses himself, leaving his son and I at the porch. Harvey scoffs at my outfit and I look down, scanning my black and white warm pullover, my denim pants a good match. Marla insisted I'd wear tight leggings, but I refused. "What is it, Harvey?" I stare at him dumbly.

He blinks. "Good day to you too," he rasps. "Been months since I last saw you. Do you smoke now?"
Vex claims Harvey to be a rebel at heart who never plays by the rules. I first met Harvey two months after Vex went to Harcott High, which was around a year ago. Vex invited me to sleep over at her house and Harvey was present of course, and his way of introducing himself was definitely not friendly. He threw a cigarette at my direction after he said his name was 'Alister' and walked away, causing Vex to yell at him.

Harvey dropped out of school the year Vex's family moved here. Vex told me he lost the will to pursue his education ever since their mother died, and he had been outrageously out of control.

"I lost my motivation to smoke ever since you threw that cigarette at me," I grin at him, a hint of teasing in my voice. I'd been afraid of Harvey the first time I met him, but soon realized he wasn't as bad as I thought he was. Sure, he has his pesky mood swings, but deep down, the boy's heart is just like his sister's.

"Ah, those were the days," he grins back at me, stepping onto the light, combing his blonde curls.

I cross my arms consciously, noticing his eyes shift to my breasts. "Why did you say your name was Alister back then though?" I tilt my head at him curiously, trying to get the attention of his eyes.

He finally looks at me, no sign of humiliation from being caught. Like his father, his freckles lay over his nose until his upper cheeks — near the not-so-dark bags under his grayish green eyes that reminds me so much of his sister. "That was what my mother wanted to name me," he responds, his voice swollen all of a sudden.

Ah shit. "I'm sorry—"

"Let's go!" Vex jumps in our conversation gleefully. I jump in surprise, but Harvey remains still, looking at his sister with distaste. A tumble of blond curls fall down her shoulders. Her body is covered with a black loose palazzo, the v-neck deep enough to show off some skin.