31

RIANA GARCIA

"He's gone."

"No he's not."

"I wish he wasn't."

"Stop saying that!"

"Riana?" I hear Theo's soft voice.

I blink, surprised. I zoomed out again. "Y-yes?" I manage not to let go of my phone and decide to place it down on my bed while turning the loudspeaker button on.

My eyes have already started to get watery even without me realizing it. "I was asking if you know where Vex's family is going." Theo says to me, his voice at the other end still patient.

"I really don't know," I blink two times, rubbing my eyes after putting down my glasses. My surroundings become blurry. "Y-you'll be okay.. right?"

A pause. "Yeah," he responds quietly. "It's just sad... to get your hopes up."

"Riana!" I hear Mom's loud voice from downstairs. "Your aunt Alyssa's here! CALL MARLA TO COM HOME AND GET DOWN HERE!"

"Gotta go?" Theo says casually before I can tell him.

"Yeah," I sigh, putting my glasses back on. "Talk to you later."

"Thanks, Riana. Bye."

I end the call before searching for Marla's number and calling her.

She picks up almost immediately. "Boy problem?" Marla questions me. I can't help but wonder if she's concerned or annoyed, because I can hear a male's hushed voice at the other end.

"I'm good," I make a face even though she can't see me as I grab my phone and put on my fluffy violent house slippers. "Mom says you have to come home. Aunt Alyssa's here."

"I'm still here at Jesse's," Marla states the obvious. "By the way, his brother says hi. Cody."

"It's Coby. Coby Mackintosh," I correct her, opening my door. "And why are you taking so long there? I thought you hated Jesse."

"Whatever. Tell Mom I'll be there in an hour or two." She hangs up.

I exit my room to check on Mom downstairs. I see her talking to Aunt Alyssa — a woman who looks a head or two shorter than her with short brown hair that reaches her chin, her grayish eyes small and her nose as pointed as Mom's. Aunt Alyssa's darker than Mom, just like their brother. Beside her, a brunette darts her familiar eyes that give out a violet hue at me, its shape small like her mother's.

"Mira?" my eyes widen at the sight of my cousin who I haven't seen for more than five years.

Aunt Alyssa shifts her attention toward me and squeals excitedly, taking me in her arms for an embrace before I can approach and hug my cousin.

"Riana." Mom smiles at me, the kind of smile demanding me to be polite.

I smile at Aunt Alyssa kindly and return her embrace. "You've grown so big!" Aunt Alyssa says, smiling brightly. "And you've gotten prettier."

I doubt that.

"I'm serious," Aunt Alyssa says as if she has read my mind. "I remember when you were still young — always poking around in my kitchen while Marla and Jay were—" Aunt Alyssa stops, pulling away.