14

RIANA GARCIA

After practice, I walk the halls of Harcott High alone. Sophie isn't around and Vex has cheer practice, which sucks for her because the practice for the play has been pretty tiring.

My phone beeps and I brace myself for a bitter text from Mom, knowing she's been grumpy ever since Dad left.

AL: I see you've left me on read.

With an uninterested grunt, I put my phone back in my pocket, only to have it beeping once again.

AL: Drake left me on read too. Months ago. And he regretted it.

AL: Don't be stupid enough to create the same mistake.

I pause, staring at my phone with astonishment. AL messages Drake as well? I ponder, then I take a deep breath nervously. What if this AL guy is Roy's companion and is enemies with Drake? What if I'd just gotten myself involved in some bull I don't even fully know about? But then again, the account has messaged me even before I met Roy.

This doesn't make any sense. But nothing makes sense now. Who exactly is this AL? My fingers tremble, hesitating whether to respond to the account or not.

"Excuse me," I hear a voice behind me and I turn instantly to see the one and only Heart Harrison, who has a smile glued all over her face.

I stiffen, Roy's words hitting me like some kind of tornado: "Because you think my brother and I are still the same boys you grew up with? Get over yourself. We never considered you as one of us. Not since you and Heart." Those exact words replay on my mind, causing me to just look at the lovely girl in front of me wordlessly.

Heart's smile doesn't falter. "Hi, my name's Heart, I just want to ask if you know where Theo Walker is? I sometimes see you with him."

She's awfully friendly. I shoot her a fake smile, "I.. I don't know where he is at the moment." And even if I do, I'm not telling you. Heart obviously knows Roy and Drake well, and what ever happened between Drake, Roy and Roy's brother, Heart played a role in it. But what kind of role exactly?

She clasps her hands disappointedly, "Oh okay, if you see him, can you please tell him that I'm looking for him?"

Could she be a part of the whole Drake and Roy thing? "Why though?" I ask her flatly, refusing to buy the whole good girl act. I quickly look at her shoes to see if there's something underneath any of her feet, like a blade or a small weapon. Anyone can think of her as a pretty clean lady, but I will not be fooled. I have been fooled by Drake, and this time, I won't be.

Heart chuckles, placing a hand on her chest like I said something really hilarious. Her odd mood only makes my temper flare up. "It's nothing, really." She says, then she looks at me with an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry if I laughed, that was disrespectful of me."

Oh wow alright. "It's nothing, really." I flash her a grin, which vanishes when I see Drake approaching from behind her.

"Heart!" he exclaims, then he notices that Heart and I are still talking. He looks a little shocked to see her and I having a chat (I mean, who wouldn't?) and he backs away a little. "Oh." He murmurs, still looking at me.