32

RIANA GARCIA

I flush with embarrassment, recalling how I hung up on Drake almost a week ago and how I told him I couldn't leave the house for a reason I chose not to say.

To be fair, Philip looks like he's done himself a great job today. His platinum blonde hair is tied back neatly, looking extremely good in his navy blue blazer and simple black jeans with a plain grey scarf. I don't miss the huge smile doubling on his face when he sees Mira, and the way it slowly fades when he recognizes me.

Don's wearing a black coat over his white vest, his brown pants matching the color of his girlfriend's handbag. His girlfriend is oblivious to the whole scenario, still wearing a thin smile while clinging tight (but not too tight) to Don. She has shoulder grazing buttery blonde hair lobs, effortlessly stylish with her green eyes dancing both at Mira and I.

I don't miss her lingering a second more at me with an unexpected smile of adoration.

Drake, on the other hand, is wearing a dark wool peacoat with his trousers made of heavy fabric.

When they approach us, Mira, to my surprise, ends up freezing. I can sense her eyes fixed on Philip, whose eyes avert directly. "Hello, Mira." He squeaks nervously, causing me to whirl my attention towards him. I've never seen him nervous before.

"Philip." Mira smiles at him. His blue eyes widen when she says his name. "This is my cousin, Riana," Mira says, looking at me, urging me to introduce myself politely.

I don't. "Yeah, we.. we all know each other."

Philip nods, not saying anything and looking a bit flustered with my presence, glancing at Drake uneasily. I can't tell if Mira can sense the awkwardness.

Drake's still staring at me. Either with disbelief or shock. I can't figure him out. He's always hard to read.

"I, uh... this is my friend — Drake McCoral," Philip points his chin at Drake, who snaps his head at Mira's direction and gives her a discreet nod. Mira does the same. "And that's Don Rodriguez and—"

"This is my girlfriend, Madonna Harris." Don speaks up, interrupting Philip with a proud smirk, putting an arm around Madonna's shoulders.

I wonder if she knows Don's part of The Derisimo.

From where I'm standing, she looks so pretty, the bright light from the sky hinting her golden hair together with her green eyes outshining her face with a few freckles on both of her rosy cheeks.

She beams, sending us a quick acknowledging smile. "Mira." She turns to me, "Riana."

"Hi." The word sounds foolish when I say it.

"I thought you couldn't leave the house." Drake automatically says, reading the expression on my face.

Though enraged, I respond casually. "It's a long story."

Drake just holds my stare to the point Philip has to clear his throat. "Let's go?" he says, indirectly letting Drake and I know that we still have a restaurant to go to.

Mira, from the way her eyes jumped from Drake and I's figures, can tell that there's an unspoken tension between the two of us. She nods at Philip, who leads the way as he smiles at her and drags Drake, whispering something to him.

Mira does the same to me too while the couple follows behind us. "Was that your ex boyfriend or what?" she whispers to me.

"Of course not." I whisper back immediately as Philip holds the door open for us with Drake beside him. I don't dare see what his face looks like, thanking Philip with a thin uncomfortable smile.