29

DRAKE MCCORAL

"Admit it."

"Admit what?"

"You skipped class this morning because of Chemistry."

When I arrived during my sixth period, I couldn't help but notice the additional unfamiliar guards roaming around the school — an obvious improvement for security. I also recognize a few cops across the campus talking to a few of the staff members, taking note of what they're saying.

"You're offending me, Spencer," I snort, waving off Lance's theory. Next to me, Don smirks. Philip only looks at me with a disbelieving look beside Lance. At the end of the wide hallway, I spot Jake together with Tess's sister Sophie and a freshman with short blonde hair and small grayish eyes. I think her name's Hanna Morgan.

Bending, Sophie traces what ever she's drawing on a 1/4 illustration board that the three placed on the ledge with a black marker. Jake hands over a pile of small newly cut papers to Hanna, one of them a picture of the oldest church in Philiandel found in Oriano Island.

Hanna clutches it without looking up at him and says something to Sophie, who stops using her marker and lets Hanna paste the five pictures on the board.

"Edwards is doing school work," Philip laughs lightly, causing the three freshmen to look at us.

Jake smiles. "Considering this is the last week of classes..." he turns to Sophie and Hanna. "Can I go? I printed the pictures, brought ALL the materials and did my fair share of research—"

"Yeah you can go," Hanna says, her voice neutral. If you ask me, she's pleased with him gone. "Sophie and I can work on the illustration and the designs. Plus pasting and definitions."

"Where's Hailee?" Jake asks before heading to our direction, eyes still at the two girls. Philip and Don make a face while Lance doesn't have any reaction.

Hanna's eyes trail to Lance before meeting Jake and ends up shrugging, not saying anything. "Don't know." Sophie also says, going back to her work.

We continue on our way to the entrance, taking a left and strolling past a group of students when the door to the library slams open and both Riana and Dane bolt out of the room laughing.

For some reason, the two of them laughing together seems strange. I can't help but tilt my head, confused.

Their eyes dart to my direction, and Riana's smile falters. Her hair's tied. Coby then gets out of the library, holding a 1/4 illustration board, fuming. "You two are the worst group mates ever." He puffs before leaving.

Hailee gets out of the library chuckling, and I sense Jake's eyes light up at the sight of her. "What happened?" Lance asks, his eyes landing on Hailee first before looking at Riana, and then Dane.

"Forced Mackintosh to be the one to take the project home," Dane answers simply.

Riana nods in agreement, still smiling.

"Good to see you're all smiley." I can't help but comment.

She blinks at me, then smirks. "Did you cry during Chemistry?"

Philip, Don, Lance and Jake ooh while Dane looks down, suppressing a laugh. I can't help but smile at her. "I didn't cry this morning."

She doesn't miss a second to answer. "Then you probably didn't take the test."

Jake bursts out laughing and Don places a hand on my shoulder as if he's comforting me. I don't feel the slightest bit of humiliation, amused by her mood. I exchange a quick knowing glance with Riana, who wiggles her eyebrows in response. Jake joins Dane, Riana and Hailee, staying behind us as Philip, Don, Lance and I make our way to the main entrance.