64

Playlist - Tonight
by FM Static

DRAKE MCCORAL

My dance with Heart is slow and fun. We looked at each other and smiled uncomfortably to ourselves. A lot of people teased and took pictures of us elatedly while we just danced. I tried not remembering what she recently confessed to me, and it slightly worked anyway.

I tried forgetting the look on her face when Gabrielle died.

"What dance do you think do they have in stored next?" Dane asks with a yawn, his eyes glimmering. "I really just want to go home."

"You and Riana weren't dancing," I observe, "how come?"

Jake chuckles mischievously. "Someone's curious."

I glare at him, which makes Jake look away from me, holding a funny look. Dane stretches his arms, "because it's weird," he informs us as if we haven't noticed. "We all know why I'm taking her to the formal anyway."

"Let the girl have a good time at least," I scoff.

Dane ignores me, looking around.

"They're doing the next secret dance already in another room," Jake answers him dully, "I don't get why they just won't announce and reveal what kind of dance is next."

We nod as we look at the dance floor, mostly full of girls and boys dancing, partying and joking around. My mouth twitches into a small smile when I see Heart, who's laughing together with Ichi and Tess. At least she's having a good time.

The music, all of a sudden, then stops. A loud voice takes over. "Harcott High freshmen and sophomores," the voice addresses professionally. "Once your name is mentioned, proceed immediately outside. You shall be guided with one of our faculty members.

"For the next dance, you and your date will find yourselves dancing in one dark room. So if you have a phobia of the dark, then I am sorry to say that you or your pair can not participate in this dance. If your name will get called first, you will be accompanied to the room your partner will soon join in with you.

"You mustn't engage in a conversation with your date once in the dark room. Do not fear in case you get matched up with the incorrect person."

Sir Edmund, his attire the colors of an elf, appears with a list that I'm assuming is full of names. "Emmy Davis!" he shouts as Emmy, with a shy smile, stands up from her seat. Ms. Lee, dressed up as Demeter (the goddess of agriculture), places her arm around Emmy and disappears together with her.

"Leo Buckingham?" Sir Edmund shouts as a freshman scurries his way outside with Sir Jesse welcoming him and vanishing together with Leo, just in time for Ms. Lee to arrive.

"Arson Kho?" Sir Edmund says after stealing a glance at the paper he's holding. Arson stands up as Philip lets out a series of awkward claps. Ms. Lee smiles at him as she escorts him to wherever he's supposed to be.

Sir Edmund squints his eyes before calling out the next name. "Riana Garcia?" he shouts out as Riana boldly gets up from her seat, avoiding eye contact with everyone.

Always beautiful. Always radiant. She's wearing a white dress, the sleeves the figure of light violent flowering vines. I shift my head to Heart's direction, who also swings her head to mine. We both shoot each other a quick smile as I dart my eyes to Jake, who's teasing an annoyed Philip and Lance about not having dates. I glance at Dane, whose mouth is gaping, eyes still fixed on Riana.

"Coby Mackintosh?" Sir Edmund calls out as Coby makes his way towards him calmly. Ms. Lee comes back with a tired look on her face as she corrects her posture standardly and exits together with Coby.