70

RIANA GARCIA

"And here we have Ms. Rachel for the Sports News," the newscaster announces, as the camera's attention diverts to a different newscaster this time with layered blonde curls and small dark eyes. She's wearing a varsity jacket with a white shirt tucked underneath, suiting her category.

I'm sitting on the couch, my Biology textbook open, and my notebook as well. "Can you guys turn off the tv?" I ask, not bothering to look up. On the other end of the couch is Marla, sitting up straight. Across from us is Mira, who's seated on the sofa, slouching

"Good morning Philiandel!" Ms. Rachel greets delightfully. I can't help but tsk. "We are all fully aware of the rivalry between two of the most prestigious schools here in the country; Harcott High and Verdanya High."

I look up and dart my eyes to the screen.

"Soccer season is up, and everyone is looking forward to their big game." Ms. Rachel continues, flashing a sheepish grin. "Curious about the two teams' progresses and thoughts? Don't worry, Ms. Bee has interviewed the coaches from both teams together with their team captains! Here we have an exclusive video clip."

Another scene takes over, and I see Harcott High's soccer field, and Coach Thompson and Derek's neutral faces, glancing back and forth at the camera then at Ms. Bee, who's holding a microphone.

Marla points out that Derek is cute. I don't say anything. The two are holding microphones of their own, both looking as bold as ever. I don't know much about the soccer coach and the team captain, but I am curious about the school's stability.

"We have Coach Thompson and Derek Smith on the scene. How is the team going, Coach Thompson?" Ms. Bee inquires him with a friendly look on her face.

Coach Thompson replies, "The team's doing quite well, trainings are extra extreme though, that's for sure." He adds a little unsure laugh. I notice Derek biting his lip.

"Extra extreme, that's for sure!" Ms. Bee giggles, then she looks at Derek. "How do you feel about the upcoming game?"

Derek takes a deep breath before answering. "Nervous, but indeed excited to get the opportunity to play against Verdanya High," he answers. "My teammates and I are looking forward to playing against them, and we've been very eager in our trainings."

"Is being team captain a difficult task?" Ms. Bee questions him one more time.

Derek nods almost immediately. "Not only does it require you to lead the team, but it also requires you to be a good role model to your fellow teammates," he responds, "it is an important position, and I am really honored to be team captain."

"It's your last year of playing for the team right? Since you're off to college?"

"Yes, it's my last year," Derek sighs. He looks down, and I notice the bags under his eyes. Must be really tough. "And I indeed want it to be a very memorable one."

"That's great!" Ms. Bee exclaims, then she turns to Coach Thompson. "What about you, Coach? You excited for the upcoming game? Looking forward to touch the trophy?"

Coach Thompson clears his throat. "Anxious, too, to see how the game would flow," he answers honestly, "but I'm mostly looking forward to the way my players would be acting in the field, flaunting the progress they've achieved through the extreme trainings and hard nights. I pray for my team to not only show strength but most of all... unity." Derek glances at him at this, and he looks down.

"What does he mean?" Marla presses, looking at me for answers.

Mira answers instead. "Philip says there have been misunderstandings among some teammates..."