Chapter Twenty Three - The truth

Arabella's POV:

I haven't seen Alessandro since the time I've slapped him and it has been two days since that. He's been ignoring my calls and he's not coming home at all. I know what I did was wrong, but what he did wasn't right either. He threatened my mom in front of me! Of course I'm not letting that slip. I had enough now, I need to know what is going on between them. No one is telling me anything, but I'm not letting it go.

I made my way downstairs to where my mom was to end this confusion in my head. "Mom, you have to tell me everything now, I won't wait any longer!" I stormed into the living room demanding an answer from her.
"Arabella, it's better if he tells-" I cut her off before she can continue. "No, I need answers and I need them now!" She stared at me for a brief moment before finally giving in. "Fine, but please calm down!" I nodded.

I sat myself beside her on the big beige leather couch in the middle of the room.
"I'm listening." I pushed her further. She took in a deep breath before opening her mouth to speak. "I told you before that when I was younger, I was in love with a gang leader, right?" She asked me. "Yes, you did and you told me that your parents didn't accept him and married you off to my father." She nodded. "The gang leader I was in love with, wasn't just any gang leader. He was the leader of the italian mafia in America..." She took a deep breath again before continuing. "And at the same time he was Alessandro's father." I gasped and held my palms before my mouth from the shock. My mom was in love with Alessandro's father? How? "He wasn't married and hadn't had Alessandro yet when I was in the picture." She explained further.

"Alessandro told me that his father was always cold towards him and his mother because he couldn't forget me and when one day Alessandro and his mom were kidnapped by an enemy, he didn't do much to save them because he didn't care for them. That's what Alessandro said. So, that led for Alessandro's mom to be killed in front of his eyes by the enemy. He was young and he couldn't do anything about it." Her voice cracked at the end.

"But his father could and because he didn't love his wife, he took this as an opportunity to get rid of her." She continued.
"That's why Alessandro hates you?" I asked her with tears threatening to fall down my cheeks. She nodded. "But It wasn't your fault! I mean you were married to dad at that time, you couldn't have known!" I tried to convince her that it wasn't her fault. "I know, baby! But Alessandro won't understand this, he's heartbroken and he needs someone to blame for all of this." She explained to me.

"But still-" She cut me off. "No, Arabella! Let him be, he has done so much for us, even after he found out who I was. He brought you back to me and saved me from spending the rest of my life behind closed bars. I'll always be thankful to him for what he did." Tears began to fill her eyes. I know Alessandro did a lot for me and my family, but he has to understand that my mom has nothing to do with his moms murder.

Speaking of this, I feel really sorry for what he's gone through at such a young age. It hurt a little that he never trusted me enough to tell me about his dark past. I got up from the couch I was sitting at and made my way upstairs to my room. I need to call him and if he doesn't pick up, I will call Dante. I grabbed my phone from the nightstand and dialed his number. After some time of waiting for him to pick up I gave up and dialed Dante's number. He wouldn't dare to not pick up. "Ciao!" He answered. "Dante, is that you?" I asked not sure if it really was him. "Yes, ma'am." "Is Alessandro anywhere beside you?" "He is in the office, should I give him the phone?" He requested. "Yes please, but do not tell him, that I'm at the phone." "Sí, ma'am." Everything was silent until I heard him speak again. "Boss, there's someone on the phone for you." He told him. "Who?" My heart sunk in my chest by just hearing his deep voice. "They wouldn't tell, boss." Dante lied to my relief.

"Sí?" Alessandro finally took the phone. "A-Alessandro?" I stuttered. I heard him take a deep breath before speaking again. "Has something happened?" He asked trying not to sound concerned. "No, I just want to talk to you. You haven't been picking up my calls. Where have you been? It's been two days that I haven't seen your face." "So?" So?! So!!! Is he serious. "Look, I'm sorry for slapping you, but I can't just let you talk to my mom the way you did." I was frustrated with his coldness towards me.

"You know nothing, Arabella! So just leave it! I'm not upset about the slap, it didn't hurt one bit, I'm not coming home anymore because I can't bare seeing her anymore!" He started shouting which startled me at first. "I know everything! She told me everything, Alessandro and I'm not seeing the fault she has in all of this other than your father loving her and not your mom!" I heard him growling and cussing under He his breath. "I don't want to talk about this anymore." He stated more calmly now. "When will you come back home?" I waited long for him to finally answer me. "I don't know." He said before cutting the call. I was so heartbroken by this that I couldn't hold myself any longer and began cry. Warm, salty tears were streaming down my cheeks like a river.

Now it's certain. Arabella Knight or Arabella Lazzaro now, can never be happy in her life.

***

End of chapter 23.

Like always don't forget to vote and comment!💎

Love you ❤️