Chapter 4 - Tyrant?

Elissa feels apprehensive, waiting to attend her first formal dinner at the palace. She is dressed in a peacock green gown with a boned bodice, off the shoulder sleeves and a humongous skirt. Personally, she would have preferred something less grand, but the three ladies wouldn't leave her in peace until she agreed. Then they fussed around doing her hair and make up.

As the clock strikes eight, the door opens and Lucifer strolls in; he is also resplendently dressed in tails, a crisp white shirt and a cummerbund a matching colour to her dress. For a moment he just stands, seemingly stuck for words. Recovering, he smiles and offering up his arm, leads her down the grand curved staircase.

Her nerves twang as they walk into a large banqueting hall where over a hundred guests are awaiting them. It is an imposing room; a triple-height arched ceiling with suits of amour affixed to walls, like sentries.

All eyes follow them as they traverse the room and she can't help feeling a bit like Cinderella. Only she doesn't particularly want to be at the ball, nor marry the prince, or in this case, king.

The king heads straight for the high table. There is a group stood on the dais. She recognises the three ladies, Garrett and the obsequious man from the previous day. There are also several other men, one of which gives her the creeps. As if sensing her discomfort, Lucifer places a hand on her lower back and steers her away.

Once everyone is seated, the king stands and raises a glass. "A toast to Princess Elissa, our future queen."

All those gathered rise to their feet and hold their glasses aloft. A chorus of 'to the queen' rings out.

Lucifer resumes his seat and angles his body towards her. "You do not seem pleased by your warm welcome."

Bending her head towards him, she keeps her tone low. "Do not ask me to make a speech, as I doubt you will appreciate anything I might feel inclined to say."

"You could raise a toast to your king," he suggests, with a cheeky glint in his eyes.

A sharp retort dies on her lips as Garrett politely seeks permission to take the vacant seat beside her. Schooling her features, she nods in acquiescence, though finds it ironic that she is sat between her two jailers. Dawn snags the seat on Garrett's other side.

While she would like to dislike the head of the king's guard, he is an intelligent and earnest man. Learning that he hails from Rainbow Isles, she finds herself reminiscing with him about all the places she visited.

.....

After dinner, she allows the king to take her arm and escort her back to their suites, maintaining a regal persona until they pass through the antechamber. However, when he doesn't relinquish his hold and walks into her reception room with her, she pulls away.

"Your Majesty, I believe that I can take it from here."

"I am curious as to your choice of bed for tonight."

"Do not fear, I will be a good little prisoner. Your second choice," she crinkles her nose in distaste, "is enough deterrent. That, I will never choose."

He steps into her personal space and she holds her ground, only just stopping herself from stepping backwards.

"I would not be so sure, Elissa. You will come to my bed, and willingly. Trust me."

The self-assured, smug expression on his face is really irritating. "I don't trust you as far as I can throw you; which is not far enough."

Rather than be offended, his eyes twinkle with mischief and he fires back, "I would rather see you put all that passion to better use."