Chapter 82 - Starlight

"How about you slither back to hell? Where you belong," Elissa fires back at the malevolent spirit.

Hades's sinister laughter echoes inside her head. I have no intention of going anywhere, not until Elysium is broken and cowering before me.

She crosses her arms over her chest. "Oh, and are you going to do that all on your own?"

Not at all. I have amassed an army so great that it will plough through anything in its path. They merely await my signal. He flourishes a gauntlet in the direction of the barrier, where a spiderweb of hairline cracks mar the glass-like surface.

She can sense a permeating aura of evil beyond the boundary, and despite not wanting to give him the satisfaction, she can't help shuddering. There is no way that I can let whatever is behind there through into Elysium. I hope it holds.

"If you think that I will let you just waltz in, then whatever brains you have in that cowl must have become addled with age. Or perhaps you are just all mouth and no trousers." Looking at the ragged hem of his robes, she smirks at her own joke.

Hades hisses. You are the foolish one. Coming here all alone. Shall I give you a taste of my power?

Those monstrous wings spread out and Hades rises further from the ground. The next moment he is rushing down straight for her. Survival instincts kicking in, she summons her sword and manages to bring the blade up just in time. However, it does little to impede his progress for his body disintegrates into a swirling cloud of black particles.

Engulfed, it is like being attacked by a giant swarm of angry bees, with every inch of exposed skin assaulted with needle-sharp jabs. Giving up trying to swat them away, she covers her face with her hands. Simultaneously, she chokes on the clawing stench of death and is unable draw in a proper breath, adding to a rising sense of panic.

Get a grip, Elle. You're an Elemental. Blue electricity arcs like lightning from her fingertips and a gale whips up causing Hades form to undulate like a murmuration of starlings. He re-forms a few feet away and she takes the opportunity to spit out acrid sand.

Neglected to bring any water? Shame, for it is an awfully long way to walk to the nearest settlement. If he had a face it would be curling into an evil grin.

At the word 'water' her throat prickles painfully, screaming with thirst and she wonders at the wisdom of leaping without thinking.

That was fun. Shall we dance again?

Black particles swirl up, forming into a huge obsidian sword in his fist. She barely has time to brace herself as it comes crashing down on her own blade. The force of it ricochets through her, jarring her teeth. She jumps backward as his second swipe cuts through the material of her sleeve, missing her arm by the narrowest of margins.

Again and again he attacks, and pushing herself to the limit she avoids damage, but each leap, tumble and counterattack eats away at her rapidly draining energy reserves. Finally, she manages to cut off his sword arm, earning herself a backhand with his free gauntlet. Panting, she wipes her brow and tries to ignore the metallic taste in her mouth. Too soon his arm grows back.

Her limbs ache and tiredness weighs her down like an anchor. He charges towards her and unable to lift her sword, she pulls up a wall of earth to defend against the fresh onslaught. He slams against it, then turning semi-corporeal, passes right through the barricade.

Hades advances, as unrelenting as the tide. The sword slips through her sweaty fingers. Fighting for her life, she summons the heavens and a bolt of lightning strikes through the wraith. He disintegrates only to solidify, although does seem a little more cautious about approaching any further.