Chapter 81 - The darkest night

Eyes wide and heart pounding, Elissa stares at the mirror and shakes her head as if that would make the horrible apparition disappear. How is this possible?

There is crunching underfoot as she moves to the Watcher's side, all the while her gaze remains glued to the image in the shimmering surface. "When did this happen?"

"He materialised in front of the old mountain pass to Tartarus about an hour ago."

"An hour!" she shrieks and turns to glare at the Watcher. "Why didn't you alert me?"

"I did not wish to disturb you until it was necessary. I have been observing him and he has remained in the same area. I get the impression that he is not able to move far."

"That's a dangerous assumption," she seethes, trying but not completely succeeding in keeping a lid on her anger. "Is anyone else aware that we have a hostile invader in Elysium?"

"My brother Watchers," he responds calmly.

She takes another step closer to the mirror and Hades rotates to face her, almost as if feeling the weight of her gaze upon him. "We need to contain him and then find a way to send him back."

"The Dragonites have already dispatched warriors, however, the area is uninhabited so it will be some time until they reach it."

"Damn it! He could be gone by then." Elissa bites her lip. "We need to do something right now."

Her brain frantically searches for solutions. When Aren's life hung in the balance, she had jumped through to Arcadia, however, this time there is no mirror on the other side.

"Elissa."

She starts and turns at the sound of her father's voice. His face is as pale as freshly fallen snow.

"Whatever am I to do, father?" she implores, despair starting to get its claws into her.

"Trust in your instincts. What council does your magic provide you?" His voice is calm, yet his body is taut like a viper readying to strike.

Closing her eyes, Elissa concentrates inwardly. Warmth blossoms in her right hand and brilliant light filters through her eyelids. The first flickers of hope causes her lips to curl into a smile at the sight of the Light of Elysium.

The figure of Hades raises its cloth-covered face, reminiscent of a beast sniffing the air, and hisses.

My Elise? You will not be lonely for much longer. I am coming for you. Hades's voice grates against her consciousness like nails scratching across a blackboard.

"Do you hear him?" Her voice falls to a hushed tone like one might use in a library.

Simultaneously, the Watcher and her father shake their heads. Just me then. Great.

Grasping the orb of power, she takes a deep breath and as she exhales, flings the Light. It slows marginally but passes through the shimmering surface and vanishes. A few gut churning seconds pass before it pops back into existence on the other side.

The pulsating globe hangs in the air, bringing light to the darkness and causing Hades to shrink away. The Light might possibly contain the vengeful wraith but it's not something that she can leave to chance. Under no circumstances can he be allowed to roam free in Elysium.

She takes an unwilling step closer to the mirror. "I guess that it is safe for me to cross."

"Wait! You might have use of this." Aldebaran thrusts the scabbard of her Dragonite sword into her hand.

As she is strapping it around her waist, she can't help thinking, not sure it quite fits with the Lady Santa dress. Wait, what on Elysium was father doing carrying a sword around at the solstice party.