Chapter 26 - Atlantis

Arms resting against the window frame, Elissa hangs her head and shoulder outside and gazes out over the sparkling sea. The wind whips at her hair, occasionally sending it into her mouth, but she finds the feeling exhilarating after the hot and humid days in Essentia. Pulling out a strand, she tastes a briny tang on her tongue.

In the distance, dark shapes arc out of the water, only to sink beneath the waves. Her heart leaps and her eyes widen.

"Darish, come quick. Are those dolphins?" Her voice is higher than normal, ringing with excitement.

The elf moves to her side and peers out of the adjacent window. "I can certainly see creatures approaching. Although, as this is my first visit to the ocean, I cannot say what form of beast they are."

Bram stands on her other side and squints, shading his eyes, before finally confirming, "Yes, they are dolphins."

She watches, mesmerised as the pod gets closer and closer. Once they reach the water beneath the window they playfully jump up and spiral through the air as if in competition.

A familiar purple headed figure bobs up and beckons to Elissa with a silvery hand. She pulls her head back in and turns to the others. "I think our ride is here."

Though she would like to run down, eager to start her adventure, Elissa takes the slippery stone steps with caution.

Ianthe is waiting for them, with one arm hooked over the boat. In her other hand she holds aloft a loosely woven wicker basket containing what looks like several mottled blue-green starfish.

"You will need one of these. It will enable you to remain underwater without the need to come up for air. I will put it on your back. You will hardly notice it."

With a cocky expression implying that he is happy to oblige, Zane strips off his shirt and presents his bare back to Ianthe.

The Atlantean's eyes narrow slightly as they take in the image of a naked woman entwined with a red dragon. Ianthe picks up one of the creatures and slaps it on his back. Zane oomfs and hunches over as if he has been sucker-punched.

"Damn it, woman," he growls, but just gets a wicked smile in return.

Worried, Elissa looks to Talia and notices the fear in her friend's eyes. Though she would rather not, she volunteers to go next and asks Talia to loosen the ties at the bottom of her bodice.

She is grateful that Ianthe is much more gentle this time and softly applies the creature. There is an unpleasant prickling like hundreds of tiny needles pressing into her skin and then a cooling sensation, fading into nothing.

Once Talia and Darish have their symbionts attached, the four of them slip into the warm azure water. Elissa retains a grip upon the side of the boat, still nervous of going under, but her anxiety melts away as several long grey snouts nuzzle at her playfully.

Ianthe makes a clicking sound and all bar one of the dolphins disappear; the one left seems to grin at her and rubs against her body. Clambering onto its back, she holds onto its dorsal fin and the pod sets off for deeper waters.

Her laughter rings out, mixing with Talia's squeals, as her mount repeatedly leaps into the air and dives down into water; it is the most exhilarating ride of her life.

Finally, when there is nothing but water surrounding them, the dolphins dive, their powerful tails driving them downward. Bubbles rise about her and combined with her halo of hair, she can hardly see a thing.

When they reach the seabed, she slips down from the dolphin and kisses it goodbye. Before her stands the palace of Atlantis with sand coloured walls encrusted with shells and a huge multicoloured glass-domed roof.