Chapter 77 - Rise above

The warm air is potent with the scent of flowers and the low hum of insects. Apart from the industrious bees, the garden is peaceful with a lazy summer afternoon ambiance. Elissa gives a contended sigh and closes her eyes, simply enjoying the heat of the sun's rays upon her skin. The three baby dragons are stretched out, basking next to her.

A short distance away, Zane, Ianthe and baby Jin are on a blanket, set in the dappled light under a wide-boughed tree. Luscious, dark red fruit hang from its branches, and Elissa's lips are already stained vermillion from their juices.

Her eyes flicker open at the sound of chinking ice and she waves languidly at Tabbi who is pouring out cool drinks for Drake, Bram and Talia.

As one, all three baby dragons stand on their haunches and raise their heads to the heavens like scaly meerkats. Roth gives a chirrup and takes flight, zooming toward the river gate. A few minutes later, he returns with Amethyst and Fuego. The latter stays long enough for Dusk and Darish to dismount, then the two male dragons set off in a race for the river.

Amethyst makes a beeline for the congregation on the lawn and the two green dragons hurtle towards their mother, where they are met with much nuzzling. Haku hangs back, until Amethyst blows out a smoke ring at him. It encircles his neck and like a lasso, reels him in.

Elissa jumps up, filled with a warm sensation at the sight of Darish approaching. She throws her arms around him, kisses his cheek and confesses, "I've missed you."

His arms tighten around her back. "And I you. 'Tis good to be home."

When they break apart, Dusk drapes an arm around each of them. "I managed to distract him, though I doubt I could keep him from your side, nor his job for too long."

"Ah, I had better just check on things." Darish slips from his lover's hold and walks briskly towards the palace.

"Whatever am I to do with him?" Dusk shakes his head and steps forward as if to follow, before stopping to turn back to Elissa. "Before I forget. Seraphina sends her regards. She was most curious about the marks you bestowed upon us. Do not be surprised if you get a grilling from her next time you converse."

Elissa pulls a face, her memories of the night when Kai tried to force a kindling are still a bit hazy. She's pretty sure that an alter-ego took over. With a mental shake, she casts away any concerns and focuses on Dawn.

From the enormous grin on her friend's face, she reckons that the trip to Babylon must have gone well and cheekily asks, "So, how was your booty call?"

"You use the strangest turns of phrase." Dawn rolls her eyes and grabs a cool drink. "However, my visit to Babylon was a success. I have agreed with Cain and Cade that we will meet up at least once a moon and see how things go. Next time, we are going to stay at my mother's vineyard."

"That's wonderful," Elissa remarks, joining her friends on the blanket under the cherry tree.

The three babies are laid out in the centre, with the adults sat around the edges. There is a stark difference in size between Jin and Dawn's twins who at nearly four moons are almost twice his age.

The auras of those around her are radiating contentment. All of her closest friends are in steady relationships and it both warms yet chills her own soul, making her yearn for someone special in her own life.

"I think I'll just see what Darish is up to."

As she approaches the palace, a tendril of magic reaches and pinpoints his position. Gravity quite forgotten, she simply rises up the exterior wall until she is level with his office. Darish is hunched over his desk and jumps an inch off his chair when she knocks on the window.