Chapter 40 - Missing

Elissa wakes to find that her pillow is a warm, smooth masculine chest. She smiles, feeling more relaxed than she has in ages. An arm tightens around her and lips brush against her forehead, but still she doesn't want to open her eyes. Instead she stretches like a lazy cat and snuggles in closer to Aren.

His laughter rumbles through her. "Good morning, my love. Would you like me to get you some tea?"

"No, you are not allowed to move. I'm sure Darish will bring some tea sooner or later."

"Are you sure that I am not allowed to move?" Aren asks as he rolls her onto her back. "I have my very own goddess in my bed. Surely I should be worshipping?"

"Goddess! Hardly."

"Those elves think that you are the prophesied one sent by Gaia."

It unsettles her, but it is too early for such thoughts, so she makes light of it. "Is this body a holy temple then?"

He lavishes her with kisses on her nose and her chin and neck. She threads her fingers through his wild hair, trying to direct his lips to her own and sighs in contentment when she finally succeeds.

As their embrace becomes more heated, she begins to feel flames stirring inside and pulls away. "We should see if the others are up for breakfast."

The intensity of Aren's amber eyed gaze makes her shiver, as does his growled promise. "Soon, kitten, soon."

One way or another I will find a way around this little problem of mine. Even if I have to ask Zane for advice.

After getting dressed, they stroll over to Dawn's tent

After getting dressed, they stroll over to Dawn's tent. Dawn greets her with a massive grin and a wink. "You two are up late."

Zane is over in the kitchenette area cooking pancakes on a griddle. He offers her a warm smile, which fades slightly when he takes in Aren. His stare is reminiscent of a father sizing up his daughter's first boyfriend.

Zane and Darish are like big brothers to her and she couldn't imagine them absent from her life.

She beams up at Zane and flutters her eyelashes. "Those pancakes smell good."

He huffs, though it is all for show. "Sit down, I will bring some over for you."

She leans over the counter and kisses his cheek. "Thanks."

"Would you like some spiced apple tea?" Dawn offers, brandishing an elegant glass jug containing a steaming amber liquid.

The word 'tea' makes Elissa realise that someone is missing from the scene. "Where's Darish?"

Dawn shrugs, as does Zane, who places a stack of pancakes on the table. "Maybe he has already broken his fast. He is often up with the sun."

Elissa is happily consuming her second pancake when Darish's mother walks in carrying a plate of oatmeal cookies. The elf's gaze darts around the tent. "Is my son not with you?"