Chapter 60 - The price

Sat on the floor of the antechamber, Kai cradles Elissa's unconscious form against his body. She is so still and cold he could almost believe her a statue but for the subtle rise and fall of her chest. For all his strength, he feels weak. He feels helpless. What is wrong, my love? Where have you been?

Last night had turned from a dream come true into a living nightmare. After failing to find Elissa, he sought out Darish and then in desperation they called upon the Watcher.

The Watcher insisted that Elissa was gone and could no longer be found in Elysium. Regardless, Kai had glared at the basins filled with liquid silver and demanded that they give up the secret of her location.

He was unable to rest or take sustenance while she was missing. The elf and his lover kept vigil with him. Then finally, when night turned to day, Antares informed him that she was in Ishtar's temple. Without further thought, he ran.

Darish ran too and damn, he was fast. It took everything in Kai to keep up. They arrived just in time to see Elissa standing in the antechamber. She appeared stricken; her face pale and eyes red-rimmed. She clutched a hand to her chest and collapsed, but he managed to catch her before she hit the floor.

"May I see her?"

Shaken out of his reverie, Kai blinks up at Darish and reluctantly nods. Darish crouches down and gently nudges Kai's arm out of the away so that he can see her face. A single tear makes its way down her cheek becoming crystalline as it freezes.

The elf places a hand to her pallid cheek. "Elissa. Come back to us."

She jolts as if waking with a start, although her eyelids remain shut. Her body relaxes and she snuggles her face against Kai's chest. Relief washes through him and some of the tautness finally leaves his shoulders.

The moment of contentment is short-lived for Elissa stiffens and her eye spring open.

"Darish!" She launches forward, throwing her arms around the elf.

That should be me. Disgruntled that she should seek solace from another, Kai calls out to her whilst trying to keep reproach from his voice.

Instead of turning back to him, she pulls away from them both and stands, facing the wall. One might think her indifferent, yet the way her hair ripples as if caught in a phantom breeze and the frost creeping across the marble floor, both tell a different story.

Kai rises and takes a step towards her, but she spins to face him and puts out a stopping hand.

"I am so sorry, Kai. We ...." She gasps, struggling for breath and shakes her head. "We can't be together."

Kai frowns. "I do not understand."

"We can be no more." She is unable to meet his gaze.

Many times he has fought, yet no wound has ever cut so deep nor hurt so much. It is as if a blade has run clean through his heart.

"Did you ever love me, or was this all just a game to amuse you?" Bitterness laces his words like glass shards.

Kai! Antares admonishes. That was unkind. You are distressing her.

What about my distress? Kai snaps back. She is more fickle than the wind; twisting and turning and leaving men floundering in her wake.

"Kai, I love you," she sobs. "I have no choice. Your goddess demands that I give you up."

"This is Ishtar's doing?" he snarls. The sense of betrayal is two-fold; from the one that holds his heart and from the one who has his unwavering faith.