Chapter 36 - Fire Starter

Elissa stares up into Kai's dark eyes; the minuscule flames flickering behind his irises highlight a green as dark as a pine forest at dusk. She is so stunned by his declaration of love that she does not heed the warning signs.

Burning lips descend in a kiss which is literally scorching and causes the power of fire to stir within. It feels so good, but at the same time she knows that it is wrong and if not suppressed the two of them will raise an inferno.

She pulls away, shaking her head with eyes downcast. "I can't. I won't be unfaithful."

"I do not ask you to be untrue. Leave him and be with me."

Her heart clenches painfully. He is such a good man and deserves to be happy, but I can't forsake Aren. Her eyes prickle and she shuts them tight, although it does nothing to calm the maelstrom inside.

"You ask too much." Her voice comes out as a broken whisper.

His thumb brushes across her cheek, casting aside an escapee tear. "Tell me you feel nothing and I will walk away."

"I-I." She opens her eyes, her gaze beseeching, but there is no easy way out of this and whichever way she moves there will be damage. "I'm sorry Kai, I can't give you what you want."

He takes several steps backwards and sinks into the chair. She blinks rapidly and just manages to hold back the tears.

Crouching in front of him, she places a hand on his arm. "I never meant to hurt you."

He places his warm hand over hers, dwarfing it. "The pain lets me know that this is real."

His focus moves to something behind her and a muscle in his jaw ticks. Looking over her shoulder, she jolts at the sight of Aren standing there with his arms crossed. She swiftly stands and smooths down the silken skirts of her dress.

"Belinda said that you urgently wished to speak with me. Yet you are obviously busy." Aren's tone is brittle.

She ignores the snide remark and her brow crinkles. "Belinda? I haven't spoken to her in ages." At all if I can help it. "I was just about to heal Kai."

Aren's mouth hardens and levels a challenging glare at Kai. In response, Kai braces his arms against the chair and pushes himself upright, muscles bulging. He towers over them both and allows his gaze to slowly travel down Aren's body resulting in an expression of being completely underwhelmed.

"Boy, I doubt that you have ever been in a real fight. You should run back to your mother before you get hurt."

A low growl rumbles in Aren's chest and hazel swirls into the blue of his eyes. The tent is not big enough for all the testosterone.

Putting her hands on her hips, she steps between them. "Kai, sit down."

Kai obeys, perhaps sensing the fragile hold over her temper, and glowers with arms crossed over his bare chest.

Meanwhile Aren's frame is rigid, with fists clenched at his side and eyes a burning amber. She places a hand on his cheek. Inside, he is a tempest; dark swathes of self-doubt, hurt and anger, punctuated by ugly streaks of jealousy.

She pours love and magic into him, soothing the storm. His eyes return to the beautiful blue of a summer's day and he nods. They don't need words. He ghosts a kiss upon her lips before leaving.

"He does not deserve you." Kai's rumbling voice threatens another storm.

"He's jealous."

Kai lets out a bitter laugh, which holds no mirth. "He has no right to be. He is the one that holds your affections."