Chapter 12 - Mid-summer madness

Ever since the Dragonites arrived, Elissa has found herself with hardly a moment alone. One or more of the ladies seems to be her constant companion during waking hours. All three of them are currently in her sitting room and Rowan is prattling on about the prince she is trying to ensnare.

Elissa could do with some quiet time to think, since she is worried about the solstice tomorrow. Standing, she announces, "I need some air. I am going to check on the trees."

"I will come with you." Dawn responds, turning from the window and grinning. "I would appreciate a closer view."

A view of what, the Dragonite does not elucidate and Elissa doesn't care to speculate. As she leaves the room, past the heavily guarded antechamber, Dawn, Rowan and Talia all trail behind her. So much for peace.

A little smile creeps onto her face, for she knows that the butterflies won't let anyone apart from her enter the circle of sacred trees.

Stepping out onto the field behind the palace, she is confronted with the sight of Kai, Zane, Cain, Cade, and several other Dragonite males she doesn't recognise, all stripped to the waist and sparring. While it is a sight to behold, she means to walk right by them, however her feet have other ideas.

Kai is battling with the twins, his muscles rippling as he swings his sword to block their attacks. Unable to get in a hit, the brothers fall back and simultaneously their swords blaze to life with fire. Kai's sword follows suit, the flames flickering over the hilt, up his arm and all over his body.

Rowan pouts. "It is just not fair. All these glorious specimens at the palace and I cannot sample them."

"Lucifer no longer asks anything of us. I am sure that you could find one, or two that would be accommodating," Dawn purrs.

Rowan shakes her head and sighs. "Oh, the sacrifices one has to make in a quest to be queen."

Talia innocently responds, "They all look a bit big to me."

Dawn snorts in laughter. "That they are. And the saying is that the bigger the dragon, the bigger the ..." she stops and catching Elissa's eye, winks suggestively before finishing, "... ride!"

Elissa blushes and makes a choking sound. Kai's gaze immediately focuses on her. The sight of him engulfed in flames reminds her of a dream she once had. Unless...could it have been a vision?

Dawn really doesn't help Elissa's embarrassment when she drapes an arm around her shoulder. "He looks as if he could burn everything in his path to you. What a choice to have. I can't decide which I would prefer in my bed. No wonder Lucifer is being so possessive."

Shrugging from Dawn, Elissa runs towards the sanctuary of the sacred trees.

Lord Kai

Lord Kai

.....

With all the royal guests, the dining hall is more crowded than customary and most of the normal incumbents of the high table are relegated to the lower tables.