Chapter 73 - Ebb and flow

Aren springs backwards and brings up his sword to parry the blade arcing down towards him. The force of the clash vibrates through his body, but he grits his teeth and makes a prompt counter attack. While Leo has the more muscular frame, Aren is lighter on his feet now that he has lost all the weight he gained in the darker days.

The fight goes on, neither brother willing to concede defeat until finally, breath ragged, they stop and agree to call it a draw. The tiger swishes a spectral tail, insisting he could have won. Despite the aching muscles weighing him down, Aren is buoyant, for it is the first time that his brother has not beaten him outright.

Gawain gives a nod of approval and slaps Aren on the back. "That was not too bad. Good use of footwork, but remember to use those eagle eyes and do not allow yourself to become distracted."

Aren unstraps the leather gauntlets and breastplate and peels off a sweat-soaked linen shirt, using a drier portion to wipe his brow. After a quick wash in the rain chamber, he dresses in clean clothes and meets up with Leo, who puts an arm around his shoulder.

"I am proud of you, Aren."

"I totally went easy on you today," Aren responds with a grin and earns himself a barge which sends him reeling.

His laughter peters out at the sight of a perambulator, or more importantly the person pushing it.  The violent hatred that once festered within him towards Belinda has now faded to a dull, lingering resentment. I need to be a better man.

He sighs. "I should go and speak with her."

Belinda stiffens as Aren walks towards her and the predator in him recognises the 'rabbit in the torchlight' fear on her face.

"Good afternoon, Belinda. How are you fairing?" he asks in a polite tone, trying to avoid his diction being too clipped.

Her knuckles whiten upon the handle of the pram and her gaze swings about as if looking for an escape. "I am well, thank you. I really should be getting back."

"I mean you no ill will." He takes a few steps closer.

He had heard rumour that she had given birth a few days ago, although this is the first time that he has seen her out and about. Curiosity has him bending over to peer into the pram, where a small form is swaddled in white.

He wonders if the boy has already shifted and queries, "Have you named him yet?"

"Nathair."

The infant wriggles at the sound of his mother's voice causing the white, lacy bonnet to slip from his head and reveal spiky jet-black hair and pointed ears.

She lay with an elf, the tiger growls.

"Tell me, how did you expect to pass the boy off as mine?" While Aren does not raise his voice, it holds a burr due to the tiger being so close beneath his skin.

Belinda sobs out, "I am so sorry, Aren. I did not know that I was with child until it was too late. I always dreamed that we would have a life together."

A sickening thought slithers through him. "Who is the father?" he demands, fury no doubt blazing in his amber eyes.

Tears stream down her face as she inserts herself between him and her baby. "Please do not hurt him. We will be gone soon. I am returning to my parents."

The child is innocent. The eagle's sage words help to cool his ire, leaving a trail of disgust in its wake.

He takes several deep breaths. "You must think low of me if you believe me capable of harming a defenceless babe. Just promise me one thing, Belinda. Do not allow him to become a monster."