Chapter 83 - Trouble comes in threes

"Elissa. Open your eyes."

A compulsion in the voice weaves through Elissa, dragging her back to consciousness even though she just wants to sleep for a hundred years. Refusing to face the waking world, she snuggles her cheek against a comforting warm presence, where a steady beat thrums in sync with her heart.

"No, no, my rose. Stay with me." The commanding voice once again interrupts her peace.

Hands enclose around hers and silken strands of music, accented with a bluesy saxophone, weave a cocoon. Warmth spreads up her arm and sends power fizzing through her veins. Her eyelids spring open and she is greeted by eyes as blue as a summer's day.

What a pretty colour. For a moment she just stares up and bathes in the love radiating from them, that is until realisation creeps in. Heat paints her cheeks at being held bridal style by Aren, so she whips her head away, only to be confronted by Morpheus holding her hand.

The elven king's taut, black-clad body gives him the appearance of a panther readying to pounce. However, his tone is gentle. "Elissa, are you alright? Did he hurt you?"

"I'm fine." Her gravelly voice sounds like it belongs to another.

"Can you stand?" Aren's voice rumbles through her and does strange things to her spine.

"I-I think so." She wriggles and at that signal, Aren carefully lowers her feet to the ground. Morpheus maintains his hold, steadying her newborn foal-like legs until she can stand unaided.

Morpheus clicks his fingers and the air shimmers; around a hundred warriors, armed ready for battle, flash into existence. Standing at the front are the twins, Cade and Cain. Most of those gathered are Dragonites, but a handful or so are fairer with slighter builds. Behind them are a line of dragons, with the massive form of Antares at the centre.

She stares, struggling to compute the sudden appearance of a small army. "Where did they come from?"

Morpheus smirks. "They are the back up. Hades easily forgets that my power is also at its apex on this, the longest night. I was able to shield our presence."

The looming figure of Kai strides over to join them. "We set off as soon as we were aware of the incursion. A thousand apologies that we did not arrive sooner and that you had to face that fiend alone."

She feels a little overwhelmed with Aren, Morpheus and Kai, all focusing their full attention upon her. Slowly, her gaze takes in the Animage prince whose different forms all stole her heart; the warrior whose hard, muscular exterior hides a passionate and romantic centre; and finally, the king of sin, more handsome than any male should be.

Even though she has sworn off men, she wishes she didn't look quite such a mess. She fiddles with the torn sleeve of her dress, which appears as if she has gotten into an argument with a hedge cutter. Her poor hair is probably a lost cause, suffering from the aftereffects of an encounter with a maelstrom.

Morpheus winks, a hint of amusement playing upon his lips.  Embarrassed, she noisily clears her throat and her thirst makes its presence felt with a vengeance. Darish pushes his way between Aren and Kai, coming to her rescue and offers her a metal flask.

The cool water slips down, sweeter than nectar and once quenched, she hugs Darish. "What would I do without you?"

"I will endeavour to ensure that you need never find out," Darish responds in all earnestness. "Now, I suggest we leave this goddess-forsaken place."

"Great idea." She gives an awkward wave to the three sometime suitors and allows Darish to guide her away.

As they approach Roth and Zane, the dragon bounces like an excitable puppy and when she throws her arms around his scaly neck, he licks her face. Climbing up onto his back, it feels like old times. However, as soon as she is seated the energy leeches from her body. Zane wraps protective, brotherly arms around her and pulls her back against his broad chest.