Chapter 28 - Something in the Water

"Follow me," Triton commands and passes through one of the arched doorways to the outside.

While he moves at a sedate pace for a merman, occasionally wafting his large tail, Elissa has to hurry to keep up with him. They traverse through an underwater garden filled with corals, anemones and swathes of colourful seaweed.

Recognition flickers. "Did my mother come here?"

"Yes, it was one of Isabella's favourite places. She would meet with your father here, unseen by the world above."

He stops and stares without seeing, a wistful smile gracing his face. "She had such a gentle heart and temperament, unlike us Atlanteans. Still, she was like a sister to me." His lip curls revealing shark-like teeth and his voice falls to a snarl. "I am glad that he met his end. He did not deserve to survive in this realm when she perished."

Finding him rather ferocious, she nevertheless risks placing a hand on his arm. "She is at peace. I met her spirit."

The savage expression morphs to a smile and he pats her hand. "You are much like her."

The colourful surroundings give way to a wide paved pathway lined with towering statues. Triton casually waves at them and exclaims, "My forbears. Soon my grandmother will join them."

The guilt twists like a knife in her stomach. The emotion must have shown on her face, because Triton berates her, "Do not blame yourself. You freed her. The taint of Tartarus poisoned her and held her its prisoner. She existed in a wretched half-life, not able to pass on and yet not able to live."

The pathway leads to what looks like a small, roman style temple with widely spaced columns holding up the roof.

"Your parents were married here in secret." His dark eyes twinkle with a hint of humour. "You were conceived in Atlantis. They did not know. But when Isabella returned the next moon, the dolphins knew. They followed her everywhere. Or perhaps it was you that they were fascinated with."

At his urging, she takes the few steps up and enters the temple. Bands of muted light and shadows stretch across a floor decorated with a complex mosaic patten. There isn't any furniture, just a roughly hewn, man-high obelisk in the centre. It is difficult to make out much in the dim light, but the stone seems to carry the weight of ages and has a lingering essence of power.

Triton silently joins her and makes a high-pitched sound. Twenty or so little squid-like creatures sink down from the ceiling and float about them. She catches one and it nestles in the palm of her hand; a cute rather dumpy thing with large eyes.

One by one the little creatures start to luminesce. They cast an eerie light onto the stone pillar, highlighting lines carved into the stone, which make up the face and features of a humanoid.

Triton taps a talon against the centre of the stone and her eyes lower. There, inlaid with tarnished gold is the emblem of a flower, the very same design that is inked into her own skin. Goosebumps erupt across her skin, despite the clemency of the water.

"The carving is thousands of solars old. Atlanteans have worshiped it for a long as we can remember. This symbol is revered by us as the sign of life."

"How?" Her hand falls to her stomach. "How do I have the same symbol?"

Triton shrugs. "Our myths sing of times when the ocean has fallen out of kilter and our great father, Neptune, sent an emissary to restore the balance. The sign was bestowed upon you by the gods. You must have been sent to us."

Woah. That is a lot of pressure.

 That is a lot of pressure