Chapter 50 - Awakening

The last chime of midnight strikes and Morpheus finally pulls his lips away. His kiss leaves Elissa breathless and lightheaded so she places a hand on his chest to steady herself. His arm tightens around her back, holding her up.

He is too dangerous to be this close to and when he makes no move to relinquish his hold, she says, "You can let go now."

"I have already said that I will never let you go," he insists, the possessiveness in his voice causing her to shiver.

The complete absence of any sound around them finally comes to her attention and she glances around the ballroom. Once more she is given reason to gasp, for all the inhabitants are motionless, stuck in a tableau; some in the midst of dancing, while others have goblets raised to their lips.

"You've frozen the whole room?" she asks, incredulous.

"I am Winter!" He gives a one shouldered shrug.

"Why?"

"Because, it will be far more impressive when I do this."

Suddenly, they are by the exit, with the only sign of them having moved a flutter of his cloak and her lurching stomach. Everything starts to reanimate incredibly slowly behind them.

"Hold on," Morpheus says, pulling her closer.

That is the only warning before they are off and moving through the palace at inhuman speeds. The only thing to do is close her eyes, cling on and try not to be sick. If anyone was to bear witness to them, all they would see was a streak of silvery grey, like a smoke trail.

Elissa sits down on a soft surface and is grateful that the world has finally stopped moving but is not yet willing to open her eyes.

Cool fingers caress her face. She blinks and finds Morpheus kneeling before her.

She narrows her eyes at him. "Are you planning on begging me for forgiveness?"

"I am not one to go on my knees before anyone bar my queen. However, seeing as I am down here I could earn your forgiveness."

Those cool fingers sneak under the voluminous skirts and start sliding up her leg. Before he can get too high, she scrabbles backwards, intending to put a good distance between them. Slipping against black silk sheets, she belatedly realises that she is on a bed.

It is built of dark wood and has similar cavernous proportions to the one she inherited back in Avalon. There are two nubile figures carved in ebony holding up a canopy over the top portion of the bed and a black leather headboard.

Uh-oh! This doesn't look good. "Where are we?"

"My inner sanctum." Still kneeling on the floor, Morpheus puts his elbows on the end of the bed and rests his chin on his hands. His silver eyes gleam with wicked intent. "You look divine on my bed."

A slight flush paints her cheeks and she pulls her legs in, sitting primly with her back straight and her skirts tucked beneath her. I am so out of my league. He looks like sin incarnate and this whole bed is like some altar to him.

"So, how many women have you brought here?" Her voice is tarter than she intends.

"You are the first," he insists, a slight frown marring his perfect features. "The first and the only one."

She is under no illusion that he is by any way innocent and knows that he has had plenty of women in his long life, probably several already today before breakfast, however, she can't help believing him and feeling special. Careful Elle. These are dangerous thoughts.