Chapter 55 - A lesson in humility

As they fly away from Kai's abode, Elissa wistfully thinks that all good things must come to an end. She hopes that it is merely the first of many visits. Both duty and her friends call her back to Avalon.

Before they departed, Kai asked if he might introduce her to his parents. After about a two-hour flight Antares lands in front of their residence. To either side are two other buildings in the same stone and behind, a fourth building is under construction. Together they form a loose quadrangle around a central courtyard.

"As you may know, we have set up an academy to train young Dragonites to be warriors." Kai points to the buildings either side, explaining, "The building on the right houses the armoury and training hall and the one on the left provides accommodation."

He holds out his arm and escorts Elissa into the main house where they are met by a giant of a man. "Elissa, this is my father, Rostam. He runs the Academy."

While there are grey streaks at the sides of Rostam's dark hair and the hints of lines around his eyes and across his brow, his body has a similar physique to Kai's, with solid muscles evident beneath his shirt. His strength is apparent when her hand is enveloped in an almost crushing grip.

"Welcome, queen of queens." Rostam bows his head respectfully.

"Thank you. May I see around the Academy later? Kai tells me that you are training the next generation of Dragonite warriors."

Rostam smiles, his face lighting up. "It would please me greatly. We have just accepted our third lot of recruits and are at full capacity now. A new facility is under construction, which will enable us to double our numbers."

"Where is mother?" Kai asks.

"She is in her laboratory and has, no doubt lost track of time."

They pass through to the back of the building and enter a vaulted room with a huge fireplace. Housed under the mantle is a thick wooden bench containing an array of variously shaped glass vessels filled with different coloured liquids.

A statuesque woman, dressed in black leather with her dark hair in a bun, is stood with her back to them. In one hand is a bubbling concoction, which she is is heating with flames from her other hand.

"Mother," Kai calls out, attracting the woman's attention.

She turns to face them and even with large glasses covering part of her face, Elissa can't help notice her striking beauty. Wow, she is gorgeous. I bet if more chemistry teachers looked like that it would be more popular at school.

"You must be Elissa." She gives Elissa a radiant smile and, her experiment quite forgotten, strides across the room to embrace her. "I am Tahmina. I have heard so much about you. It is wonderful to finally meet you."

"Tahmina, the pleasure is mine. What a great lab you have. What are you working on?"

"For too many solars now, we have seen fertility rates falling." Tahmina sighs and removing her glasses, nibbles on one end. "It must be more than a sign of Ishtar's displeasure. I have a theory that something in the water or soil may also be affecting us somehow."

"I think there might be some kind of poison or residue from Tartarus. I saved a wild baby dragon the other day and there was something foul in its blood system. I managed to heal it, but I fear it would have perished had I not intervened."

"That is both fascinating and impressive. Wild dragons are elusive creatures and rarely allow us near them. We think that their birth rates have remained steady from egg shell remains, but we have observed an increase in infant mortality."