Epilogue

A murmur of voices sounds behind the bedroom door. Elissa stretches under the silk sheets and smiles up at Aren, who is gazing down at her like she is the most beautiful creature in all Elysium. It is a look that has remained unwavering these past thirteen solars of marriage.

Pulling him down, the kiss is sweet yet alas too brief as they are interrupted by the door crashing open. A small golden haired boy shoots through like a cork released from a bottle.

"Happy birthday, mummy."

Ethon bounces up onto the bed and offers her the best of cuddles. He is just like a mini version of his father. With his brilliant blue eyes, charming grin and dimples, she is sure that he will be breaking girls hearts one day.

His older sister, Aurora follows with measured steps, carrying a breakfast tray. She has Elissa's platinum blonde hair and slight build, but has Aren's eyes.

"Eth, move will you!" Aurora huffs, gripping the handles of the tray tight enough to whiten her knuckles.

"Sorwy, Rowy," he mutters, his lisp starting to lessen as he ages.

Aren pulls Ethon over and bounces him on his knees. Aurora places the tray on Elissa's lap. There is a selection of honey pastries, a bowl of fresh berries topped with fresh churned cream and a small vase of flowers. There is also a new teapot, although the scent is not one she recognises.

Aurora bites her lip and shuffles, seemingly unable to keep her feet still, which is normally more of a problem for Ethon.

Elissa pours a cup of steaming, dark brown brew and inhales the aromatic steam. With its nutty, toasty notes it reminds her of coffee. Encouraged, she takes a sip. It's not quite the same but it packs the punch that she has been missing for so long.

"How is it? I think that it tastes horrible, but uncle Morpheus said it was the closest yet."

"You have been working with Morpheus on this?"

"Well, mainly granny Aine, but he has strange tastes." Aurora wrinkles her nose.

Aren sniggers before plastering an innocent 'what me?' look on his face. Ignoring him, Elissa hugs her daughter.

"Thank you, my darling. This is the perfect birthday present."

The elven boy she rescued from Alfheimr enters, bowing his head with reverence. Already his fair hair is starting to darken, indicating mixed blood. As a son of one of Celestia's guards, his life in the elven court was already miserable enough.

"Your majesty, felicitations on this special day."

She offers him a smile. "It is your birthday too, Raphael. We shall have to celebrate together later."

He looks at her through long lashes. "I do not like to disturb you, however, this strange mirror keeps beeping."

He hands Elissa her old iPhone. The blood rushes from her face for there are hundreds of missed calls and messages.

"Ethon, shall we go riding?" Raphael holds out a hand to her son.

Ethon beams and jumps down from the bed, following him like a puppy. He adores Raphael, who always has time for him, unlike his sister Aurora. The two can often be seen playing outside or sometimes getting up to mischief.

Aurora kisses Elissa's cheek. "Enjoy your breakfast, mother."

Once they have gone, Elissa takes a gulp of the not-quite-coffee and with a shaking hand she presses the dial button.

It rings and rings, and just as she is about to give up, a voice calls out, "Elle! What the hell! Is that you?"

"Hi Kate," Elissa offers meekly.

"Hi. You ring up after four years of nothing to say 'hi'? We thought you were dead. The police investigated but they couldn't find a trace of you."

"I'm sorry." Tears stream down Elissa's cheeks. "I know this is lame, but this is the first time I've had any signal. I wanted to call before, please believe me."

"What godforsaken place are you that you don't get signal?"

"It's a long story." Elissa bites her lip wondering how she can condense the past sixteen solars, whilst also leaving out all the magical stuff. "I was kidnapped. I managed to escape and now I'm living on an island with an amazing man and our two children."

"What is he, some reclusive billionaire or something?"

"Wait a mo." Elissa takes a snap of Aren and sends it to Kate.

"HOLY MOTHER ..."

Elissa quickly interrupts, "Kate, he can hear you."

"Well if I had such a hottie in my bed, I probably wouldn't want to get out much. You are mostly forgiven."

"So, what are you up to?"

"Do you remember that cute Ozzie barman? Well, we are together. He really helped me out when you went missing. I hope you don't mind but we are still living in your house."

"You can have the house. I'm not coming back." She threads her fingers with Aren's. "I have everything I need here."

"Oh honey, I'm so glad to hear that you are happy."

It was wonderful to catch up, but Elissa is choked up when she ends the call. Aren enfolds her in his arms and holds her tight. "Are you alright, my love?"

"I am with you beside me."

....................

AN - the song is Hello by Adele.

We have come to the end of book 2. Elissa is happy and finally has a little closure. She is where she was always meant to be.

We have also have some new young players waiting in the wings to take centre stage...