Chapter 27 - A song of the sea

When Elissa wakes, her heart gallops. I'm not breathing! It takes her brain a few moments to catch up and recall that the starfish on her back is doing that for her.

She reaches up and brushes her fingertips against the pearlescent roof of her pod-like bed. The soft green mattress is incredibly comfortable and she wriggles further into its depths.

Ianthe pops her head through the strings of tiny seashells which provide for a door. "Would you like to go to the vents for a bathe?"

"Yes, sure. I'll just see if Talia wants to come too."

After quickly dressing, she pushes aside the dangling curtain into the adjoining room and finds that Talia is still in bed.

"Morning," she greets her brightly.

Talia groans, lifting her head up a fraction and letting it fall again. Elissa can't tell if her face is a little green or whether it is just light reflecting off the mattress.

"I think that I am dying," Talia moans.

"Did something last night disagree with you? Everything was very fresh."

Talia covers her mouth. "Do not remind me. I could not eat anything that looked at me. I think I had too many of those sea-grapes. Too late did I learn that they are alcoholic."

She smiles and places a hand on Talia's head, chasing away her friend's hangover; not something she has ever had the misfortune of experiencing.

Grabbing Talia's hand, she pulls. "Come on, let's go for a bathe."

Talia frowns. "Bathe? Underwater!"

She shrugs and laughs. "I know, but let's find out."

They find Ianthe in the corridor and follow her outside, behind the palace. A path lined with white stones leads to a maze of natural volcanic rock sculptures. In the centre is a secluded space where it looks as if the sea is boiling.

Ianthe tosses aside her skimpy top and swims amongst the mass of bubbles. The Atlantean beckons to them. "Do not be shy.  This is one of my favourite spots in Atlantis."

It looks like fun, so Elissa throws caution to the wind, or tide and stripping to her underwear, too embarrassed to be completely bare, joins Ianthe.

The water is wonderfully warm and laying back, she is held suspended by the upward jets. She giggles as the bubbles fizz against her skin. "Ooh, this is so good. We need a hot tub in Avalon."

She watches as Talia stands on the sidelines, fidgeting with indecision, her gaze flickering about only to return to them with a look of longing. With a sly grin, Elissa sends a foaming stream her way causing Talia to squeal as she is engulfed and Ianthe to burst out laughing.

Giggling, Talia disrobes and charges at them, using her elemental powers to control the air bubbles.

Too soon, their seclusion is interrupted and the sound of voices floats towards them. Zane and a trio of mermaids enter the clearing, with a sullen looking Darish following slowly behind. Ianthe doesn't look too happy either, more like she has swallowed a puffer fish.

The mermaids quickly rid themselves of their tops and Zane has no qualms in completely undressing.

"Zane!" Elissa complains.

The one with an orangey tail and copper hair giggles and runs a scarlet talon down Zane's chest. "He has a pleasing form. Why hide away behind cloth?"

With the addition of Zane and the three mermaids, their personal spa suddenly feels rather crowded. Darish sits on a stone, remaining resolutely clothed and refusing to look in their direction.