Chapter 86 - Soul Music

Luscious, lingering lips ease away, and Elissa is left bereft yet giddy. Giving a long, contented sigh, she looks to the heavens where the only witnesses are the countless sparkling stars in the velvety night's sky.

"We should return to the festivities," Aren says, with the reticence of one suggesting a visit to the dentist.

She giggles. "It's a lovely party."

"It is just that I do not wish this night to end and would prefer to remain out here with you, however, I cannot disappoint mother."

"I'm afraid that we will have to take the slow way back and walk."

"The slow way is good with me." Reaching out, he intertwines their fingers.

Weightless as a feather, her feet barely touch the ground and she glides along. Not light enough it would seem, for she trips over a tussock. Exhibiting lightning reflexes, Aren saves her from falling.

He gives a low chuckle. "Careful, my love."

"Yeah, well I don't have your feline night sight."

"That is easily remedied." He scoops her into a bridal hold. "I shall carry you."

Little flames flicker playfully in her palm. "I am not without my own means."

He tightens his hold. "I like the feel of you in my arms. Allow me this boon."

The fire blinks out and she loops her arms around his neck. For all her immense powers, she has not felt as safe nor as content in many moons.

The looming structure of the castle, with music and warm light spilling out from the ballroom windows, signals that their tranquillity is soon to end. Aren's pace slows and he lowers her to the ground.

"Elissa, this evening is akin to an enchanted dream. Before we go inside, I must know if I am to awaken."

"We are such stuff as dreams are made of," she responds, smiling to herself at the quote.

He places her hand flat upon his chest and covers it with his own, larger one. "Elissa, you hold my heart, my very future in your hand."

Beneath her palm beats the rhythm of life. It is joined by the mournful sound of strings begging eternal questions – Am I alone? Dare I hope? Could you love me?

He is vulnerable and his very soul is laid bare. There is only one response and the sweet, joyful notes of a harp answer, wrapping around them in golden chords. Overcome with emotion, tears well and her vision blurs. Aren pulls away and the music fades. His eyes are shimmering pools of sadness in the moonlight.

"I am sorry. I ask too much." He bows his head like a condemned man.

She needs to chase away the storm clouds darkening those sky-blue eyes. "You think that I could break you again or trifle with your affections?"

The acidic taste of his fear mixed with the honey of hope dances on her tongue. Pushing her magic down, she stands there just a girl and looks deep into his eyes, opening the windows to her soul.

"Aren, I have spent long enough being afraid to love. We have weathered all that the gods have thrown at us. We are meant to be together. Please say that you will return to Avalon with me."

"Elissa, I will go anywhere with you."

She holds out a hand. "Ok. Let's go and face the music."

......

Upon entering the ballroom, Elissa is hit by a wall of heat and swirling pheromones. On the dance floor young Animages strut and swirl in a dance as old as time. Love is in the air and it is tempting to join the dancers.