Chapter 88 - Queen's consort

As consciousness stirs, Elissa is not ready to face the day and instead basks in the golden light glowing beyond her lidded eyes. The safe harbour of the arm wrapped around her and the steady thrum of a heartbeat beneath her ear almost lull her back to sleep.

"Good morning, my love." Aren's husky voice rumbles through her. The sexy burr implies that he has not long woken.

The moment is too perfect to break, so she snuggles beneath silk sheets, melding herself even closer to the warmth of his body. His heady masculine musk mingles with the scents of her inner sanctum to create a new signature of home.

Lips brush against the top of her head and he chuckles. "I hardly dare to wake either, lest this simply be the most delirious dream. Whoever could imagine being rewarded such jubilation?"

Morning rays shine through the open curtains giving Aren a golden halo. She gazes into eyes as blue as a perfect summer's day and an endless sea of love washes over her. Not for a second does she regret her decisions last night.

"Well, I think we deserve a little happiness and I could ask for nothing more than to start each day in your arms, just like this."

Her playful fingers move across the gentle ridges of his abdomen, eliciting rhythmical vibrations from Aren. Part giddy by the thought, she queries, "Aren, are you purring? Just like the cat that got the cream."

"Mmm. I have all that my heart could ever wish for."

His fingers intertwine with hers and his thumb brushes over the large diamond on her mother's ring. The ring that has remained in her grandmother's care since Isabella's violent end, but now signals an overdue promise.

"Did Aine give this to you?"

"No. It was ..." He falters as if not quite believing his words. "It was your father, Aldebaran."

Phew! One less person to convince. Relieved to have her father's blessing, she teases Aren, "So, when are you going to make an honest woman of me?"

"As soon as possible." His eyes smoulder with wicked intent as swirls of amber overtake the blue. "I have plans which preclude us from leaving your bedchamber for several hours, however, we could formalise our union this afternoon if it pleases you."

She laughs. "I think that our families would have a fit if we just tied the knot without them."

He pouts, though his cheeks dimple with a suppressed grin. "Very well. Then I propose mid-summer's day."

Rolling onto her back, Elissa stares sightless at the ceiling, as flashes of the past flicker in a montage of blood, fire, death and destruction. Her mother, her adopted parents, the grandmother who helped raise her, her first boyfriend and then Lucifer, all lost on her birthdays. Her throat constricts and shadows threaten to drown the room.

Bending over her, Aren cups her face in his hands and his eyes instantly return to a soothing azure. "I understand your fears. I too bear scars which no one can see. Yet we cannot let the past rule us.

"You are the strongest person that I know. You triumphed over Hades on the darkest of days, so let us reclaim the longest day and celebrate it. We can rejoice in the light and replace the memories that haunt us with ones of our future together."

"I love you." She reaches up, grabbing the back of Aren's head to pull him down for a kiss.

.....

Aren's lips start soft and tender but soon start to explore, leaving incendiary trails across her body. A breeze wafts over her rapidly heating skin, followed by a frigid voice further cooling her ardour.