Chapter 58 - Meet me in Babylon

Elissa gives a contented sigh; she is happy to be back in Avalon and in her own bed. Strong arms are wrapped around her, providing a cocoon of warmth and leaving little incentive to move. Not wishing to open her eyes to the new day, she snuggles against the perfectly sculptured chest that is serving as her pillow.

Kai presses a kiss to the top of her head. "I have to leave soon." His voice has a husky morning edge to it.

She tightens her hold on him. "I don't want you to go."

His chuckle rumbles through her. "I admit that I would like nothing more than to languish in bed with you. However, I have responsibilities, as do you. Even with Antares flying through most of the night, we will not get home until well into the day after tomorrow."

While she knows that he is right, she pouts and looks up at him with a puppy dog expression stolen from Cavall. The corner of his lip curls into a half-smile and his face softens, losing its customary hard edges.

Her heart swells. I can't believe this strong, handsome, wonderful man is mine.

Last year, she was knocked emotionally again and again, until her heart was left a shattered wreck. This year has started off infinitely better and she feels so much more hopeful for the future. Even the prospect of Hades does not seem so bad with Kai's love and support, coupled with the defences he is putting in place.

She cups his cheek. He is also incredibly patient. Last night they slept in each other's arms. True to his word he is letting her dictate the pace.

After kissing his nose, she hops out of bed. "Come on, then. Let's get breakfast."

Kai rakes a hand through his dark hair and grumbles, "We could have stayed abed a little longer.

She can't help think how incredibly sexy he looks with his tousled hair and padding bare foot around her bedroom wearing only leather trousers.

Looping her arm through his, she leads him through to the dining room where a veritable feast is laid out on a long, pale oak sideboard. She had quickly removed the fussy gilded furniture, which previously resided there, and replaced it with simple lines where the natural wood is on show.

Popping an egg into a bubbling copper pan, she uses the time to butter some toast and pour a glass of freshly pressed apple juice. Kai meanwhile, piles up his plate with more food than she could possibly eat in a whole day.

He watches her with a mildly bemused expression as she cuts the toast into soldiers and dips the slices into perfectly cooked yoke. He opens his mouth as if to speak, but is interrupted as the door swings open and Dusk saunters in with Darish. She is used to her inner court gathering for breakfast, but Kai's frame stiffens at the intrusion to their peace.

Dusk's gaze's travels slowly across the room, blatantly checking Kai out and he cheekily calls out, "What a temping spread!"

Darish rolls his eyes and she tries not to giggle as she responds, "I'm sorry, but Kai's not on the menu."

"Fear not sweetness. I have all I could ever hunger for in my gorgeous elf." Dusk wraps a hand around the back of Darish's head and pulls him in for a heated kiss.

The door opens and Dawn sails in like a galleon with the twins, Cain and Cade following in her wake.

Dawn wolf whistles. "Nice show brother, but do not stand between a pregnant woman and food."

Darish jumps away as if scolded, a blush painted across his cheeks.

Cade helps Dawn into a seat, while Cain offers, "Let me get you some sustenance."