Chapter 9 - An Eagle Caged

Walking into the library, Elissa spots a large, dark haired simian clambering amongst the upper bookshelves. It is not the first time that she has seen it. Apparently, it is the librarian. She muffles a giggle behind her hand, thinking of Unseen University's orang-utan librarian.

At the sound, the gorilla dangles from one hand and swivels, turning to face her. Swinging effortlessly, it makes its way over to the spiral staircase. Then jumping up onto the banister, it slides down, before landing lightly.

Amused, Elissa watches as it makes its way towards her. A slightly wrinkled, leathery hand grasps hers and pulls her into a reading nook.

The figure transforms into a middle-aged woman; sensibly dressed in a long tweed dress and her hair pulled back into a bun. However, what looks like it should be an amicable face is lined with worry.

The woman grabs Elissa's arm and in an urgent tone says, "Please, I have a message from my king."

"What is it?" Elissa is mildly bemused, seeing as she was riding with Lucifer barely an hour ago.

"His son is missing."

"He has a son?" Elissa is shocked and a little disappointed that he never mentioned having any children.

The woman gives her a very puzzled look. "I understood that you were close with Prince Aren."

"Aren!" His name is a whispered lament upon her lips.

"Lord Nero," the woman utters the name as if it is poisonous, "has him captive."

The blood rushes from Elissa's face. "No, no, no. It can't be. Not him, please."

She starts shaking and the kindly librarian helps her into a seat.

"King Torbjorn asks if you could petition the High King. Her Majesty, Queen Ulrica is beside herself with worry."

"Of course, of course. Anything I can do." Leaping up, Elissa rushes out of the library in search of Lucifer.

Pushing past some upstart who tried to refuse her entrance, she finds the king in a grand meeting room. He is sat at a glossy wooden table with several other men, sheets of parchment spread out before them.

A portly man takes umbrage at the interruption and scolds her in an imperious tone, "You cannot just barge in here, young lady."

Elissa stares at the man who looks a bit like a walrus, all blubber, slicked back hair and a bushy moustache.

Feelings of worry are pushed aside as fury rushes forward. A wild wind whips through the room sending the paperwork flying, while sparks fly from her fingertips and singes one end of his moustache.

Lucifer stands, glaring down at his Treasurer. "How dare you address your future queen with such ill will. All of you, get out of my sight."

The men all scrabble to leave the room. Barely hearing their fumbling retreat, Elissa practically throws herself at Lucifer and starts to sob. He enfolds her in his arms and simply holds her until she recovers.

Brushing away her tears, he tilts her face up; his buttercup eyes warm and caring. "What has caused you such distress?"

"Nero. He has Aren. Please, can you help?" she beseeches.

His frame becomes rigid and his voice acidic. "That is a matter for Arcadia."

"Please, Lucifer." She grabs his hand. "I can't bear to think of him trapped there. I love him. Can't you at least speak with Nero?"

.....