Chapter 16 - Haunted

Bright sunlight shines through the open curtains down onto Elissa and too hot, she fidgets, not wanting to wake up. A tongue like sandpaper demands quenching. Reaching for a glass of water, she notices that she is still wearing last night's clothes.

She crinkles her brow, trying to recall going to bed, however it is all a bit hazy. Little details trickle back. Did I really dance on the table?

On autopilot, she ambles into the bathroom, peels off the crumpled gown and steps into the rain chamber. The warm water pounds down, easing the tension in her shoulders.

Slipping into a silk dressing gown, she walks into the closet with the purpose of selecting a day dress, but her feet carry her past her own clothes and on to Lucifer's. His clothes still hang there, as if awaiting their master.  Her senses reach out into his chambers, expecting to feel the responding playful caress of his magic.

There is no response, only emptiness beyond the door; a space devoid of life. Bereft, her magic recoils, slamming into her like a frigid wave. She shivers despite the warmth of the day and touches a fingertip to a frozen teardrop on her cheek.

She flees back to her room, grabbing a random dress on the way. Once safety inside, she sinks to the floor, hugging her knees and sobs.

I need air. Dressing in record time, she opens the door to her reception room, halting her foot in mid-air to avoid treading on Cavall, who is lying across the threshold. Immediately he wakes and looks up adoringly, making her feel that he would never let her down.

"Do you fancy a walk?"

His bottom waggles enthusiastically and he springs to his feet, following at her heels.

The sight of half a dozen sleeping Dragonite males, draped haphazardly on various sofas, brings a weak smile to her face, like the sun valiantly trying to shine through cloud cover.

She stops and her gaze lingers on Kai; his face is softer in sleep and bathed in the rosy light permeating through the thick velvet curtains. Her leaden heart gives a muffled beat. His warmth could chase away the aching cold, but she is not sure she is brave enough to take that path.

A wet nose nudges against her hand, disrupting her thoughts. Turning away, she continues walking, barely noticing the guards bowing as she passes. Outside, Cavall races on ahead, as if knowing that his mistress needs the sanctuary of the trees.

The eight sacred trees now tower above her, their slender trunks covered in a downy fur. Rowan, who's family are responsible for Elysium's only other sacred trees, told her that their silver bark will be revealed once they reach maturity.

She shucks off her shoes and steps within the circle. The soles of her feet tingle as power from the earth fills the aching hollow in her chest. The soil hums with life and she feels a connection with Elysium, telling her that she is not alone. The butterflies dance around her and her eyes shutter closed as she is cocooned by their soothing song.

Restored, she steps from the circle. Cavall barks and sniffs at the white daisies that have sprung up in the wake of her footsteps.

Nearing the palace, she spots an old friend. "Hey Leo," she calls out a greeting, then frowns noticing that his skin is looking sallow and his eyes are more like stormy skies, than a perfect summer's day.

"Are you alright?" Worried, she helps him to sit on a bench.

"Remind me never to drink with Dragonites again." Leo leans forward, grabs his head and groans, "It feels like those dwarves are mining their way through my cranium."

"Here, let me take a look." Sitting beside him, she brushes back his thick blond hair and places a hand on his forehead. Cooling magic flows from her fingertips, chasing away the hangover.