Chapter 25 - Summer days

Elissa walks out into the gardens and follows the servant's directions. The day is sweltering, with the sun shining down from a cloudless sky. Wafting the material of her dress, she finds herself regretting her royal status. Phew, what I wouldn't do to change into shorts and a t-shirt.

She finds Aine and Talia seated in a wonderfully shaded spot under some trees and next to a cooling fountain. Both women smile up at her; Talia with relief in her wide eyes, while sadness swirls in her grandmother's eyes as they take in the teddy bear cradled in her arm.

"May ..." Elissa hesitates, gripping the bear a little tighter. When she left what should have been her nursery, she found herself reluctant to let it go. "May I have this?"

"Why of course my dear. It was meant for you. Please join us." Aine waves a hand at the table spread with platters of delicate cakes and glistening fruit tartlets, and glass jugs beaded with condensation. "I cannot possibly consume all this by myself. I think the kitchen staff are a little excited to have visitors after the palace has had such little use for solars."

Sinking into one of metal chairs, padded by a surfeit of silk cushions, Elissa pours herself a drink. The cool liquid slips down and eases her parched throat.

Talia places her hand on Elissa's arm. "I never thanked you for helping Fleur. They have been through so much. Fintan has changed; each loss took him further and further from the brother that I loved and looked up to."

She pats Talia's hand. "Gaia showed me their suffering, I couldn't not act. If my vision is true, then you will have a niece some day."

Talia gives a weak smile. "I hope so. One day I would also like to have a child of my own, but I am scared."

"Oh Talia." She wraps her arms around the petite Elemental. "I won't let that happen to you. Anyway, surely they were just very unfortunate."

"Actually, my dear, there have been problems of falling fertility and women unable to carry to term across both Elemental and Animage kingdoms," Aine interjects.

Guilt writhes inside like an ugly eel. The words of her other grandmother come back to haunt her, that Altair is the last light elf to have been born since the Light was lost. Is it my fault?

"Elissa, I can see your mind whirling. It is not your fault." Aine gives her a stern, but kindly look.

Moments later Dawn and Tabbi arrive, the latter flopping noisily into a chair. "Talia darling, will you rustle us up a breeze? I may like it hot, but only with less clothing and a fine man to stoke the fire."

Talia hides her face in her hands and muffles a giggle. Still, the wind picks up, carrying droplets of water from the fountain and displacing the still, heavy air.

"That is better. So, what were you ladies talking about?" When Aine explains, Dawn for once turns serious. "Despite worshipping Ishtar, Dragonites have also been struggling to conceive."

Again, Elissa feels the stirrings of guilt, but it dissipates at the sight of a smirk returning to Dawn's face.

"Except when our fire is kindled. Then ..." Dawn fans herself. "Three days and nights of activity usually results in success."

Tabbi chokes on her drink. "You are exaggerating, right?"

"Dragonite males have a lot of stamina." Dawn winks.

"Dawn." Talia chastises and tries to subtly point at Aine.

"What? The only virgin here is our queen." Dawn nods her head towards Elissa.

"Indeed. I may be old, but Sirius and I have been very happily married for many solars." Aine's face crinkles with laughter lines.

Elissa wishes that she could disappear into her chair, it's all too much information for her poor ears. Then her senses prickle and she glances up to see Drake standing there, one leg slightly raised. He looks like he is just about to spin about and retreat.