Chapter 68 - Man on a mission

Pulling back his wings, Aren descends and lands in the principal town on the Lapis Isle. Whereas the centre of the Amethyst Isle has an air of serenity and its architecture is constructed from pale sandstone, this town is a riot of colour and noise.

The tall, A-shaped buildings lining the main square are painted in bright shades, forming a zig-zag rainbow against the mackerel sky. The central, paved area hosts a vibrant market. Many stalls are festooned with a kaleidoscope of silks, while others are selling wines and local produce. Aren is assailed by the sounds of vendors' competing voices and the scents of street food.

Drake's figure mushrooms up beside him and they both look at the thrumming and somewhat daunting market before them. He is relieved when Drake crosses over the road to the line of boutiques.

A bell tinkles as they enter the first shop and they are met with a visage of fine gowns. As Drake browses, Aren absentmindedly runs his fingers over a swatch of luxurious material; he can see why the island's silks are held in such high regard.

His relief starts to wain as he traipses behind his friend into the eighth shop.

Ninth shop, the tiger corrects in a whining tone.

It is admirable that he wishes to bring his female a gift, the eagle asserts.

Can he not choose already? My patience with shopping has worn thin, he responds and wearily scans the display of gowns. His gaze is drawn back to a gorgeous dress in shades of blue with fine threads of shimmering gold.

That would be perfect for her. The eagle's voice is a wistful whisper.

Indeed, she would look exquisite. Yet it is no longer my place. His heart thumps heavily.

"May I assist you, sir?"

With a shake of his head, he is pulled from the lure of the gown and turns his attention to the shop assistant. While I am here I could at least get a gift for my mother.

 While I am here I could at least get a gift for my mother

.....

Aren glides over the lush green hills, sparkling streams and expansive forests of the third of the floating islands that they have visited. The eagle in him longs to hunt in those inviting valleys, but the man is on a mission and does not wish to dally.

A brilliant blue dot rises up, making a bee-line for him. As it gets nearer, he recognises it as one of the guardian butterflies and has to subdue the bird-part of his being, which sees a tasty snack. He knows just how dangerous the innocent-looking critter is.

It circles playfully around his head, its sweet voice singing a lilting melody and flutters in front of him before diving down. Aren gives chase, only just managing to keep up. Then it seems to just vanish into thin air. Below is a large building, which he suspects is his destination, so he spirals down and lands in front of a pleasant manor house.