Chapter Six

Ghosts

My room door opened and I pulled away from my dad.

"What did you say?" Alaric asked with his hair messed up.

I looked back to where my dad was but he wasn't there anymore. I turned my head and looked all around my room.

"He was just here." I whispered.

"Who?" Alaric asked.

"My dad." I answered.

Alaric looked around my room. "Ellie..."

"No! He was here. I felt him!" I told Alaric with tears in my eyes.

"Then where is he?"

I paused. "I don't know." I whispered.

"I'm sorry, kid."

I shook my head. "Whatever. Goodnight." I said and whipped a tear from my cheek.

Alaric sighed and closed the door behind him.

\||\

"Tonight, we turn off our town's lights and sales up our lanterns in honor of the night of illumination started by our founders 150 years ago." Mayor Lockwood spoke into the microphone. "Here's founding family member Tobias Fell with a history lesson."

Everyone applauded. Jeremy, Alaric and I were in the town square watching the stage with a bunch of other town members.

"What are we doing here?" I asked.

"Tobias Fell is the head of the history department. I didn't have a choice." Alaric answered.

"That explains what you're doing here." Jeremy told him.

"Well, I'm the one who can fail you if you don't help me out." He said to Jeremy, "You are under my watch." He said to me.

"Hey, sorry I'm late. What did I miss?" Elena asked joining us.

"Just a bunch of historical lies." Someone said.

"You didn't miss anything." Jeremy replied to Elena.

I looked next to Jeremy and saw Ana. My eyes widened. Tobias Fell continued his speech.

"After the founders stole from all the vampires." Ana commented on his speech and Jeremy laughed.

"What's so funny?" Elena asked.

"Yea, Jeremy, what's so funny?" I asked sarcastically.

He shook his head and continued to listen to the speech.

All around me I heard heartbeats. I felt my breathing getting heavier as I focused on all the humans around me.

"Ellie?" Alaric called.

I licked my chapped lips and felt my eye lids begin to get heavier. I closed my eyes and felt someone catch me. I immediately opened them again and stood myself up.

"What's the matter?" Elena asked.

"I'm fine." I answered, with a dry voice.

"She hasn't feed without throwing it up." Alaric said.

"I said I'm fine."

\||\

"Hey, Jer, I need you to help me with something." Elena said.

Jeremy, Elena, Alaric and I were outside at the Grille having lunch. But of course, wherever Jeremy goes, Ana follows. They don't know that I can see her and I'm keeping it that way.