Chapter Thirty

Lake House

After I hung up the phone with Damon, I got in my car and drove to the Gilbert lake house, where Damon was helping Jeremy fight. When I got there, I got out of my car and heard someone yell.

I smelled blood and followed the smell, which was quite a few steps . There was a vampire on top of Matt, trying to bite him. I snapped the vampires neck, then threw him off of Matt and helped him up.

"Are you okay?" I asked worried. I looked at his neck which was covered in blood, "oh, my gosh."

"Get to the house!" Jeremy yelled running towards us, "Hurry!"

The three of us ran to the house. We ran up the front porch and inside the house.

"Jeremy, what's going on?" I asked.

"They're coming." He said and looked behind me.

I turned around and saw a group of vampires walking towards the house. I hurried inside then shut the door.

\||\

I was cleaning up the blood off of Matt's neck when Jeremy told us the sun was up. Then, Damon walked into the room.

"What the hell were you thinking?" I asked him, "all we asked you to do was to teach him how to fight."

"He's not the best student in the world." Damon said pouring himself a drink.

"Wait. Now this is my fault?" Jeremy asked.

"Stop talking," Damon said to Jeremy then looked at me, "look. I know you're angry, but my way was the easiest, fastest, and safest way to complete his mark to get you the cure."

"I don't care about the cure, Damon, not if it means putting the people that I love in danger."

"Hey. There would have been no danger if he hadn't gone all bleeding heart." Damon responded.

"He killed someone. These were innocent people." I said walking closer to Damon.

"But the mark grew, didn't it?"

I sighed in defeat, "Okay. Look. We need a plan. There's a group of Klaus' compelled vampires out there, and as soon as the sun goes down, they're gonna come after Matt, so we have to find a way to protect him."

"Yes, I know, but there will be no problem when big Jer and I here go on a hunting expedition. Ellie, I know it's tragic. I get it. But we also agree that he had to kill them. Now we have added incentive, so you take the least most valuable play home, and Jeremy and I will finish this." Damon said.

"I'm sorry. Are you saying that I should leave him here with you?" I asked.

"Trust me, Ellie."

I didn't respond or look in Damon's eyes.

"You trust me, right?" He asked.

I don't know if I can trust him after him not telling me about Elena kissing him.

"I'm staying."

\||\

After Matt left, the three of us went to the bar that Klaus turned all the people.

"You really think they went back to the bar?" Jeremy asked.

"Where else are they gonna go?" Damon asked opening the trunk of his car, "It's all cabins and vacation homes. They can't get in anywhere." He handed Jeremy a gun and then handed him a cross bow.