Chapter Forty

Happy Graduation

Damon and I walked into his house, hearing music blasting and seeing Lexi dancing around the room.

"Damon, Ellie, help me celebrate my 17th high school graduation." Stefan said with a bottle of alcohol in his hand.

Damon turned off the music.

"Hey. You remember my friend Lexi of course."

"Lexi back from the dead. Goodie." Damon said.

She sped and pinned Damon against the wall by his neck.

"What's up, buzz kill?" Lexi asked.

"You just gonna sit there and let her enact her ghostly revenge?" Damon asked.

"You reap what you sow, buddy." Stefan responded.

"Let's be very clear. Whatever time I have left here I sure as hell don't plan on wasting on you. Got me?" Lexi asked.

"Yea. Got you." Damon answered and Lexi let go of him, "so if you and Ric and little Gilbert are all flesh-like and real-seeming, that means something went horrible wrong when Bonnie tried to put that veil up, and here you two are having 'dance party U.S.A.'"

"You're right. How selfish of me to be indulging in these precious moments with my formerly dead best friend. I should be sacrificing my own happiness for the good of others, right?" Stefan took the bottle back from Lexi, "I should be upstairs grooming my bro hair."

"Are you drunk?" Damon asked.

"I don't know, mom. Am I?" Stefan answered causing Lexi and I to laugh.

Stefan handed me the bottle but Damon took it away causing me to stop laughing.

"Well, I guess that's one way to celebrate our supernatural apocalypse." Damon said and took a sip, "now care to hazard any guesses on what the hell went wrong?"

\||\

Alaric, Jeremy, Elena and I were in the cemetery eating.

"Oh, my gosh." Alaric said as him and Jeremy were stuffing their mouths with food.

"No grease on the other side, huh?" I asked.

"You have no idea how much I missed this." Alaric said, "and this." He picked up a bottle of bourbon.

Elena took it from him and took a sip.

"No. Hey." Alaric said upset.

"She just got her humanity back. Let her live a little." Jeremy said and tried to reach for the bottle.

Elena pulled it back, "hey. you wish."

"I'm dead. What are they gonna do, throw me in juvie?" Jeremy asked sarcastically.

"Well, then at least you'd have a place to live." Alaric responded.

"You both suck." Elena said laughing.

"There it is, that smile. I wasn't sure we were gonna see that again." Alaric said.

Elena started to tear up, "I did some pretty terrible things."

"No tears. If Caroline was right, we only have until tonight. We need a no crying rule." Jeremy told us.

"But crying is good. It means that I'm finally feeling something, and right now, I... I feel happy." Elena told us smiling and we smiled back.

Then my phone rang, "It's the grille. Must be Matt." I answered it and walked a little further from them. "Hey, Matt."

"Hello, Ellie." I heard a familiar voice say, "It's you're dead friend Connor here. You remember me?" He asked.