Chapter Twenty-Eight

Professor Shane

Elena, Damon, and I just arrived at Elena and Jeremy's family lake house. Bonnie is teaching Jeremy not to want to kill us so we can go live back home.

Jeremy was outside, cutting wood, when we pulled up. He had an axe in his hand and stared at the car. Bonnie took the axe from his hand and tossed it to the side, then took Jeremy inside.

"What the hell is professor shadypants doing here?" Damon asked as Shane walked out.

"I invited him." Elena answered then we walked out of the car and to the front porch.

"This is your house now, Jer. You have to invite me in." Elena said.

"Go ahead, Jeremy, let her in." Shane told him.

Jeremy stared at her intensely, before snapping out of it, "you can come in."

Elena walked in and smiled at Jeremy then set her bags on the counter. Jeremy pulled out a stake and tried to stab Elena with it but she stopped him.

\||\

Shane had candles set up and a seat for Jeremy. Shane ties his hands down to the arm of the chair and he had his eyes closed.

"All Jeremy feels when he sees a vampire is a burning desire to kill them. Even if consciously he doesn't want to, as in your case, it's his subconscious that's calling the shots." Shane explained.

"Persuasion helps reverse your conscious thoughts." Bonnie added.

"Think if it as kind of a conditioned response, right? See vampire, kill vampire. What I'm doing is creating a kind of middle step. It's like a detour where his subconscious learns to recognize you as someone he loves, someone he wants to protect. And that gives him a choice. He can choose to take the detour instead of the conditioned response. Okay. Talk to him. He'll listen." Shane told Elena.

"I'm not... sure what to say." Elena responded.

"You chose to do this here at your family's vacation house, right? So maybe just start by telling him why."

Elena nodded at what Shane told her, "every holiday, we came here. This place was family, and when mom and dad died, Jenna made us come here, and we thought it was an awful idea, but it was like they were here with us."

Jeremy opened his eyes.

"They would want us to stick together, Jer... to fight for each other no matter what."

"Jeremy, hoe do you feel about Elena right now?" Shane asked.

"She ruined our lives. She's not even my real sister. She's just the reason that everyone I've ever loved has died. She means nothing to me.I will kill her, even if that means I die myself."

Shane knocked something on the table and Jeremy snapped out of it.

Even if I'm mad at Elena, I still feel bad that she has to go through this with Jeremy.

"Did it work?" Jeremy asked.

\||\

"Professor Shane has been dipping into the magical herbs a little too much if he thinks using a vampire to suppress the need to kill another one is going to work on a hunter. It's like dangling a cheeseburger in front of someone on a master cleanse. Just find someone else to attach your warm and fuzzy detour feelings to." Damon explained to Bonnie, Jeremy and I, but we stayed quiet, "gee, I wonder who that could be."

"Bonnie." I said.

She looked at me then at Jeremy.

"I feel that way about you." Jeremy told her and she smiled.